ad: w5yi

What do you think of this key ?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by NX3M, Jun 23, 2020.

?

What do you think of this key ?

1. really like or would modify to taste

62.5%
  2. would rather buy a harbor freight special

37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NX3M

NX3M Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it is more familiar ; I agree. But always nice to try new things.

2. NX3M

NX3M Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I agree with you about springs. Spring tension is a very tough thing to get right considering that it is subjective by many personal accounts. I find that displays, audio, color, appearance, texture and tactile feel are all things that are subjective to personal preference.

What about tension screws versus using ball or sleeve bearings such as those used on the very expensive high end keys. This one uses the low cost conical pinion pivoting mechanism. Any experience about bearing type keys ?

K1LKP likes this.
  3. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

I like a heavy key. Even portable I’ll use my Racer or BY-1 rather than my mini paddles.

W5UAA likes this.
  4. NX3M

NX3M Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I agree about a heavy key. This key is just the key, not the base. Perhaps I need to model it on the weighted wood base as well to show the completed solution.

5. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

STEVEN,

I LIKE THE NEW DESIGN YOU PRESENTED WITH THE ART DECO........BRAVO........

THREE CHEERS FOR SKELETON WATCHES.

==. SKELETON WATCH.jpg

ANYONE WHO OWNS A GOOD QUALITY KEY, SHOULD HAVE SOME OF THIS STUFF.

https://www.nyelubricants.com/175-years

73 - K1LKP

6. NX3M

NX3M Ham Member QRZ Page

thank you for the compliment.

okay, please up vote.

7. NX3M

NX3M Ham Member QRZ Page

I created a 1/8" steel weighted mahogany base to show what it would like finished, but it doesn't want to render for some reason, so here are some screen shots. Unrendered view with steel plate weighted mahagony base - bottom side.JPG Unrendered view with steel plate weighted mahagony base.JPG

K1LKP likes this.
  8. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

Elegant notion! And significant artistic sense evident!

The only functional aspect I would suggest is to use some sort of resilient
    material to support the base contact.

I have a very small key of similar design
    (which, however, has the lever pivots at the distal end so that the feel is like a much
    larger key). The base contact on my key is mounted on a piece of Lexan (polycarbonate). The contact is mounted about 1 cm towards the pivot from the
    screw which attaches the piece of Lexan to the key base.

The result of either (or both) the resilience of the Lexan or the way the Lexan
    is mounted is that the feel at closure of the key is slightly damped. Similar to the
    damped feel of a Swedish pump key. This quality of feel with slight damping as
    well as precise feedback of contact closure is why Swedish pump keys, like the
    famous Amplidan, are so favored by many brass pounders.

Photo of my key on the Morse Express website:
    Scheunemann Morsetasten
    Kleine Handtaste

I would suggest, as a purely aesthetic matter, using a piece of ebonized
    wood for a base. Black will show more dust, but black and gold have
    contrast beautifully.

Carry on Leonardo!

9. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I like heavy keys! I like 'em built like tanks! I like 'em to feel like bar-bells at the gym when moving them. Sometimes I find myself putting some muscle into them when I'm sending! :) They *have* to be able to take a pounding without bending, moving or flipping on the table. That Italian dude, Begali, knows how to make them. I believe I have the only keys I'll ever need for the rest of my life: the Sculpture Arrow and the Begali Blade.

http://www.i2rtf.com/sculpture-arrow.html
    http://www.i2rtf.com/blade.html

But I'm always on the lookout for other heavy keys that are built with precision to the 0.0001" tolerances, require heavy lifting to move but very little effort to operate.

10. NX3M

NX3M Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay I will definitely take that into consideration.

The only thing that I am worried about is material costs by the pound, so it would definitely add to the costs.

W5UAA likes this.