What do you like most on ham radio and which hobby do you have except this one?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by OE5CWO, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KB1OSI

KB1OSI Ham Member QRZ Page

The Tech Side

My name is Devin, and I am 15 years old.
    I really like the technical side of ham radio.
    I have built my own 40m qrp transceiver, but I use my yaesu ft 857d.
    I really like cw... that's what I usually operate (straight key!).
    Some of my other hobbies are hiking, electronics experimenting, reading, chess, music, and trying to not do my homework.

-devin (KB1OSI)

2. KB1POR

KB1POR Ham Member QRZ Page

What I like most about ham radio is being able to communicate with people without a "middle man", such as a cell phone provider, so if a disaster occurs it won't effect the ability to communicate with other HAM's.

One of my other hobbies is digital photography!

3. WS2L

WS2L Guest

Let's see ....... I'm 44 years old (45 in Nov) and I enjoy meeting new people on the air, contesting, CW and most recently digital modes.

Outside of Ham Radio I am a retired Corrections Lieutenant from the State of New Jersey last working at East Jersey (Rahway) State Prison. I am retired on an accidental disability pension after 15 years of service as an inmate attempted to end my life which left me with a severe head injury and several herniated discs in my back.

I enjoy Photography, I am also a semi-pro musician playing Bass Guitar, Keyboards, Midi Foot Pedals playing keyboard parts with my feet and caring for cat's who are sick. My worst was a cat named Figaro who was a tuxedo cat who had breast cancer on both sides and was for 5 years an Insulin dependent Diabetic. I currently have all healthy cats (3) and plan on starting to foster pregnant cats and possibly giving a nice home to elderly cats who are in rescue shelters.

If you want to see pictures of a cat post breast cancer surgery you can email me at ws2l@qrz.com

I must warn you though the pictures are not for the faint at heart.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2008
  4. OE5CWO

OE5CWO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, thx for all the posts.....Never thought that there ┬┤ll be 22 posts in this short time.....;)

73+55 de OE5CWO

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  5. KJ4HPV

KJ4HPV QRZ Member

My favorite part of HAM radio has to be talking to all my friends on 2 meters, and work the few 10 meter frequencies that techs have voice privileges on. (28.0 - 28.3). Other than HAM, I am a solo endorsed Glider pilot, and am in the process of learning to fly Helicopters and Single Engine Fixed wing. :)
    73's
    Brady KJ4HPV

6. W9MAV

W9MAV Ham Member QRZ Page

No sir you are not taking advantage of 10m.

You have 28.0-28.5

7. KJ4HPV

KJ4HPV QRZ Member

Really? Sweet. HAHA, looks like I will be trying new repeaters haha. :)
    73's
    Brady KJ4HPV

8. KI6KGN

KI6KGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm 23, and I got into this hobby because I've been learning electronics, and radio since I was a kid. My Dad works in the Commercial 2 Way radio Business, and I pretty much picked up everything I know from him, and from other Hams. My other hobby is bicycling.

Trevor KI6KGN
    Fremont, CA (San Francisco Bay Area)

9. KE5OYZ

KE5OYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

KE5OYZ favorites...

I'm 15 years old and just upgraded to General Class earlier this year... I have to say, the best part of Ham Radio is the thrill of communicating with far-off places without the internet and with just a radio and a wire in the attic (There's nothing quite like the thrill of your first HF contact - my first was breaking a pileup in Honduras with a wire dipole and 25 watts out! :D) I also enjoy chatting on repeaters in my area and listening to various nets.

As far as other hobbies go, I enjoy playing piano and trombone, as well as computer programming and other electronic activities.

73s,
    Pete KE5OYZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.