What do you like most on ham radio and which hobby do you have except this one?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by OE5CWO, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. OE5CWO

OE5CWO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi out there:

I always thought about what other hams at my age like most about our hobby and what they do else than ham-radio related things....

First off all, I wanna introduce myself a little bit.:

My name is Chris, born and raised in Austria, licensed since Apr.2006 and 18 years old....
    My hobbies besides ham radio are hiking, skiing,traveling, survival training,cooking, mountain-biking and of course off-roading....

I´m absolutely keen on Contests especially those ones which lasts longer than 24 hours and constructing new antennas for portable and station operation.....^^

I´m also very much on tour with my FT-897 especially hiking on mountains where I´m QRV in QRP mode on 20m´s 10m´s and 6m.

Anyway.... Would be glad to hear from your hobby´s ......
    Greetings from Austria,

73+55 de OE5CWO

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  2. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

Name here is Duncan, KU0DM age 13!

My favorite part of ham radio would have to be DXing and contesting. I'm not competitive by nature, usually very mellow when it comes to any competition, but hearing a new one on 17m, or running a contest really gets the blood pumping!

My favorite part of contesting, is after that all night run, when everything seems to slow. Then, as the sun begins to come up, 20m starts flying and you get a good opening to New England and Europe!

Outside of operating, I am very involved in Emergency Communications, and utilizing current technology for it. I'm currently the Rapid Response team coordinator for our county ARES, and am always thinking of how can we make our response more effective, faster, better. I also do the same for equipment and repeaters, what can we get to work better, longer, get the most distance out of while not sacrificing reliability.

I'm also in Boyscouts, so am working on also being able to take my FT-897D (great rig isn't it!) portable, currently working on an NVIS antenna for 40m.

That's all I have!

--Duncan, KU0DM

3. DJ1YFK

DJ1YFK Guest

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, and manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for two days in a row. I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook thirty Minute Brownies in twenty minutes.

I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Bolivia. Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I am the subject of numerous documentaries.

When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my garden. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge. I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. Last summer I toured Eastern Europe with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration.

I run the 100m in 9.65 secs. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me. I am one of those fortunate individuals that have no body odors whatsoever. I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening.

I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only some vegetables and a Breville Toaster.

I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in Madrid, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and chess competitions at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

4. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

Fab's pretty good at CW too.

5. KI4SYC

KI4SYC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm 43 and I am a Teacher. After reading your post, I can say there is hope for the future.

6. W9MAV

W9MAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I LOVE CONTESTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also enjoy ragchewing and digital!!!!!

7. KD8JFO

KD8JFO Ham Member QRZ Page

i have no radios but when iget radios i wanna try digital modes.

8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Vanna

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

9. K5OFR

K5OFR Ham Member QRZ Page

Name's Kailey and I'm 20. Got my license recently after being interested for a long time. I love the digital stuff. I stay on APRS a lot, even though I have some difficulty with it. I have a little difficulty hearing (some days are worse than others), so it's a great way for me to stay in the hobby. :D My grandfather was a ham and I've always been interested, just never been able to get into it. I also enjoy music. I play guitar for a local band and love every minute of it. I also play some video games at night.

10. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Im Travis KB3LAZ age 21.
    I got my license in 2004.
    Its a family hobby and my grandfather is responsible for getting me interested.
    To be honest my favorite mode of operation is SSB but I enjoy listening the most.

As for other hobbies I have none, they are all addictions, lol.:p
    Collecting guns and knives is a hobby that is also family influenced.
    I also enjoy reading, writing poetry, and listening to music.
    I have recently got into sampling wine, fine coffee, and cigars.

End transmission.:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.