What do you consider to be the biggest challenge to RV hamming?

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by N3AWS, Jul 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WY7AC

WY7AC Ham Member QRZ Page

Grounding, on the newer plastic & fibreglass RV's. Radials for HF as well. I'm using the radials off the SuperAntenna with the Wolf River Coil, telescopic whip. Best I can manage and no complaints.

K6EEN and N3AWS like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

RV Hamming challenge that's easy.
    Junkie or if I caused any equipment like inverters/ solar panel and controllers.

Go to Arizona in the winter time to somewhere like Qfest (https://quartzfest.org/) when the Sun rises, the noise goes from S1 to 20 over 9.

Antennas have never been a problem.
    I still have a ton of fun operating RV portable

W4HMB likes this.
  3. KX5ALC

KX5ALC Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to spend at least 5 days or more a month going "somewhere" in my little trailer. Met my little wife and eventually found out she dislikes both the trailer and travel. So it mainly sits collecting debris from the trees on our property. But the next time I do get out, the things that have had me thinking of as possible obstacles are: decent antenna, grounding, noise and disrupting other travelers television reception. Of course the last two concerns would deal with audio transmissions. I'd think if I were using low-powered CW those concerns would be null and void.

4. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Humidity in the RV.

Soon after living part-time in an RV, I ended up purchasing a dehumidifier. It pulls gallons of water a day out of there in the summertime.

The damp level is the reason I don't have any gear installed in it.

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Leave a window cracked, it helps if you have people or pets inside.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  6. WE4G

WE4G Ham Member QRZ Page

May not be the topic you would expect but I wish ARRL would offer a digital-only membership because I move around and would never get a print copy which by the way kills a lot of trees. And I'm not advocating for an el-cheapo membership. I would be willing to pay the going price for membership if only they would not PRINT me an issue. I used to be a member and appreciate them protecting our frequencies so I don't hate ARRL and I believe they would gain thousands of members if they could see my point. Okay, I'm off my soapbox.

KG4RRH and N3AWS like this.
  7. KE5XA

KE5XA Ham Member QRZ Page

My biggest problem with Hamming in the RV is all of the cheap electronics they put in the RVs and the manufacturers lack of responsibility for all of the RF noise they create. At first I thought it was a great idea to have the station on the RV but starting to re-think that now. Have solved many of the problems with ours but others in the parks have no need to fix the problems they cause.

K0UO likes this.
  8. W4HMB

W4HMB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I lived in an RV trailer for a year while house was being built. I drove a big rig for many years. And, I owned a 36ft sailboat for a good many years.
    Grounding to the frame and going straight to the battery for power instead of a cig lighter is best. I never had noise from engines, other than from other folk's older rigs. My truck was a Volvo that used fiber optic cables for most systems so no interaction between truck and radio.

As for the humidity... when away from my boat I had a mid sized trash can amidships, punched many holes in the lid and poured a medium size bag of charcoal into the upside down lid (sitting on the can). With the boat closed up, save for a small louvered vent, the charcoal will attract the moisture in the air and deposit it in the can. Believe it or not! Many boaters who don't do this, or don't use any other more expensive remedies, always end up cleaning the pesky mold growths off the ceilings after months of sitting in the marina. I kept my boat in LaBelle, FL., for many years and a Canadian showed me how to employ this cheap plan. He lived onboard during the Winter and went home for Summer. Maritime Snowbirds! Oh, I had a three cylinder, 35hp diesel, in the boat with older more simple ignition system but no problems with rf noise as my boat had a full keel and at the bottom of that keel was a 1/4" x 6" x 34' strip of copper. Talk about a great ground in salt water. My boat had 2 1/2" thick wood hull with 1/4" thick fiberglass matting. (I know this is off topic) Empty weight was 22,500 lbs compared to a fiberglass boat the same size at around 8,000 lbs. Mine was sooooo smooth out on the ocean. Slow but smooth and that made for plenty of time for transmitting, fishing, cooking or going to the head. lol

Also, don't leave electronics in a boat or RV for extended periods, PERIOD!

WR1A and N3AWS like this.
  9. WR1A

WR1A Ham Member QRZ Page

Just built out a RAM ProMaster 136" WB, High Roof travel home, with 300 Ah of Lithium, 3000 w inverter, 400 w solar, with alternator charging or shore power.

Planning to install a two band VHF xcvr under the driver's seat with remote mic on the dash, and a tightly boxed Icom 735 for parked operation on HF.

I ported two antenna feeds before insulating and finishing the walls. Each terminates in SO-239s up top. My fifty-year-old Hustler vertical with resonators for various bands will be supported by clip-on copper radials when parked where possible, or I'll fire up an Inverted Vee using a fishline casting tool if able and willing and planning to remain in one space for some time.

Ham Radio is secondary to travel but:

"He wins who dies with the most worn-out toys." 73!

W4HMB and K0UO like this.
  10. W4HMB

W4HMB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds good!

And, I love the photo on your page.

WR1A, N3AWS and K0UO like this.