ad: Schulman-1

What do you consider to be the biggest challenge to RV hamming?

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by N3AWS, Jul 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

What presents the biggest challenge to you for hitting the road with your RV?

2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Making a sandwich in the kitchen with the cruise control on.

KC4YDY, KY4PPT, N8ZL and 4 others like this.
  3. N3AWS

Unless you’re parked.

4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Where is the challenge in that?

N3AWS likes this.
  5. N3AWS

Getting the Class C out of park!

6. NK7Z

NK7Z Ham Member QRZ Page

RV Hamming itself is the biggest problem. :) Sorry I had too. I used to own an RV, and came to the conclusion there are so many problems with RV hamming that I just accepted all the RFI, etc.

N3AWS likes this.
  7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Affording the gas.

KC4YDY likes this.
  8. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I don't have one. (RV that is) That would be the first challenge.

WV4M, N3EG and N3AWS like this.
  9. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

That's true. I've recently driven our 32 ft Minnie Winne class C gasoline RV from southern NH to Houston TX for the second time. I'm embarrassed to say that it hasn't done my carbon footprint much good.

I haven't done any hamming in it yet but when I do it will probably be some QRP CW with a wire up a tree. I have installed an antenna for LTE cellular with a cable box on the roof to allow more cables without another hole in the roof so I might install a 2m / 70 cm vertical some time and a radio in the "house" somewhere but I don't think I'll be mounting anything up front to use while driving. I don't need any distractions while driving this thing.

I've been working on it today, servicing the generator. New fuel filter, air filter, spark plug and oil. Next job is to install a Maxxair fan.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    KG4RRH and N3AWS like this.
  10. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

The leader is "What do you consider to be the biggest challenge to RV hamming?"
    QRM! You can fix/control your own noise but others do not care. Converters, solar charge controllers and cheap LEDs in rigs several spaces away can give an S9 noise level. BTW, I was recently at a campground in south west Wisconsin, high on a hill, and not crowded. Perfect ham radio location and I did not have time to the on the air with HF. Mine is near the center of the picture with my call displayed but small and green.
    If you are asking RVing in general, the problems are endless, starting with cheaply built RVs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    KG4RRH, K0UO, W4LJ and 1 other person like this.