What direction do you have for your rotor's stop point?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KI5OMM, Jun 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am in the planning stages for my tower and rotor setup. It has occurred to me that the stop point on my rotor can be placed in any direction. I am located just north of Houston. I don't see much DX activity to or from the far south, so I am considering that direction.

I do realize that this is all pretty much academic since my beam will cover that direction anyway if it's pointed just reasonably close to that direction. I am just interested in seeing what other folks have done. Thanks!

2. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

South

My beam is parked N or NE. Prevailing strong winds come from the SW. I park the antenna so that the boom is end-on to the prevailing wind.

AK5B likes this.
  3. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

My zero point is North.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I always use North as the center and South for the stop point, although it is a bit arbitrary.

N4FZ likes this.
  5. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a South stop point (North center). In regard to where to park the antenna, I now try to park it in various directions. I always parked it facing into the most common wind direction. That's probably better for the antenna, but my last Ham-IV rebuild clearly showed that the direction pot wires were worn down to almost nothing where I kept it parked. Apparently in the wind, the rotor has a small amount of movement back and forth and it grinds down the pot wires.

AK5B likes this.
  6. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm down the coast from you and I agree, there's not much due south of us (not counting LP over the pole) so that might the best direction to park . But if you have winds coming in from another direction you may want to give that priority over everything else.

Jeff EL18

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

My new rotror has south as the end points and I live in the northern part of the US , so I have to turn it all the way around to go from SW to SE . Thinking of changing the directional indicator to south on top and north at the bottom where the rotation ends.
    My Yagis on the rotor are for 10 and 6M so the only time I would aim North is for Aurora Propagation that is VERY Rare in the low sunspot years.
    If I want to aim into the wind, here it usually is from the SW. But those antennas have a pretty low wind profile.

8. KL7SG

KL7SG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine parks south

9. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

My end stop points are North. Most of the world seems to be E - S - W from Ohio. My normal park position is Southeast so that the element ends point into the prevailing winds. I figure minimum wind load and minimum stress on the elements.

10. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Because it's trying to stay warm?