ad: ProAudio-1

What did you do today that no one else did?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by W7UUU, Jul 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

There are no lathes of this model to test the assembly out in NYC so when I get to Los Angeles, the situation will be what I call, "plug n pray!" :p

P1020733.JPG

N0TZU, PU2OZT and SA1CKE like this.
  2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

It's amazing what you do, Chris, but it does have me wondering what's going to happen after all you talented guys are gone.

SA1CKE likes this.
  3. KD2ACO

Thanks, but I'd be totally sunk if it wasn't for some very good friends in San Fran, London, Milan, and Switzerland. We all work together in our specialties to keep the flame going, but yes, there will be trouble as we go away. We do look for talent along the way and have found it, so I'm not too worried.

AB2YC likes this.
  4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't drive like a maniac on Interstate 24 through Kentucky and Tennessee...... especially Tennessee. I-24 through the Volunteer State is a soup sandwich of A-clowns no matter what time of day or day of the year it is. Right lane is full of semis and RVs and frustrated drivers. The left lane is full of those trying to break the sound barrier that swerve in beween the left and right lanes and follow 3 inches behind the vehicle in front of them.

SA1CKE, N3AWS, KI5OMM and 1 other person like this.
  5. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Perish the thought!

6. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems like a good place for a lot of speed cameras then.

7. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Finished mounting the missing part of the door stop to the garage.

A simple bar where a narrow part of it goes into a gap of a keyhole shaped hole and gets locked by gravity.

New stop (only the bar that I made, was enough work with that considering all bends and filings.)
    IMG_20211128_122242_small.jpg

Original style present on the other door.
    IMG_20211128_122305_small.jpg

N7VGO, K4NWD, W7TCT and 4 others like this.
  8. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Took my Puppy on an adventure to the Vet and the Farm and Tractor Store.

N3AWS, SA1CKE, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  9. KD2ACO

Now I've really stepped in it. That last turntable servo motor went together very well so another patient showed up today.

It's badly damaged and I don't know if I can repair it.

01 servo open.jpg

The servo cover is off and it doesn't look bad yet.

02 servo disc damaged.jpg

The glass disc is scratched up. Something shifted so the lens was rubbing against the disc.

03 servo disc damaged.jpg

Oooffff! the silver photo-etched grating is going to be impossible to repair without some help from a photo litho expert. I've got to make a bunch of phone calls.

04 TNLGFOH.jpg

I can't get the motor out of the housing either. Things are not looking good for our Hiro (Tanaka, the owner of the lathe).

More news next week. For now, I see a tall glass of bourbon coming on...

KG4RRH, SA1CKE, N3AWS and 6 others like this.
  10. KD2ACO

I managed to extract the motor from the housing without killing it.

P1020748.JPG

The optical disc really has me worried. My friend in San Fran agreed to fix the motor this week but getting the glass disc repaired is an open-ended proposition.

Last July, when they emailed me in a panic because the turntable was squealing, I mentioned to them to stop using it and send it here right away. Naturally, there were records to cut and management decided to keep going until the turntable stopped spinning. Sadly, they are going to pay some steep interest on that decision. :oops:

SA1CKE likes this.