What did you do today that no one else did?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by W7UUU, Jul 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No - we DO get tornados. In 2018 a pretty massive one hit a few miles north of my house - it destroyed some 20 buildings and damaged 250 more. The damage is still evident in places to this day.

The warning yesterday was indeed real - we had MASSIVE winds, hail, thunder, lightning and the sky turned black as coal. Thankfully no tornado appeared but some 12,000 homes were without power in Kitsap county and surrounds.

Just because no tornado appeared didn't make it be an error - it was a warning that it's POSSIBLE under those conditions to have tornados just like we did in 2018

It's VERY real that we get tornados in the greater Seattle area nowadays.

Link to the 2018 event: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Port_Orchard_tornado

My house is just south of where it hit.

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AWS, PU2OZT, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That is scary. I've had 2 warnings last summer. One was real, as in, the weather was really conducive to that activity. We could see the swirling, coal-black sky.

The other warning happened and it may have been for 20 or 30 miles away because the weather wasn't so bad here.

The difference is that with the bad one, both the cats scrambled into the cellar even before we had the alert. They could tell something was up!

N3AWS, PU2OZT and W7UUU like this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is what happened. I'm surprised you haven't heard.

https://www.king5.com/article/weath...area/281-f1a97485-e8fa-40fc-9a51-f403c8b0d284

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/weather/false-alarm-no-tornado-warning-near-seattle/

https://www.q13fox.com/weather/no-t...-for-seattle-despite-some-phone-notifications

4. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Look up Dave's call sign and note his county (or at least the county where his friendly UPS Store is located). Then, take a look at the first article and see which county was really under a warning.

KP4SX likes this.
  5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in Minnesota, we're not exactly tornado alley, so we don't get nearly as many as Oklahoma, Kansas, etc., but we get our share. We typically take the warnings in stride. I've never updated my weather radio to activate only when my immediate area is affected, so it goes off if there's a warning within 50 or so miles. When it does, I'm usually in another room, so I normally grab my HT and turn it on to NOAA weather, where it's usually kept tuned, while they name the area it's for.

They're normally pretty precise, so if it's for my county, I pay attention and see if we need to take shelter immediately, or if I just need to keep an eye on the situation.

The thing about tornadoes is that the destruction is a quite limited area. It might be many miles long, but the width is sometimes measured in feet, or at worst a mile or so. There might be some property damage outside that area, but it's not particularly bad. If you make some effort to take shelter, it's extremely likely that you will survive. And even if my property is utterly destroyed, I can probably go check in to a hotel a few miles away and call my insurance agent from there. And chances are, the Red Cross will show up with some Target gift cards to get me through the first few days.

This is about the worst we've ever had, and this 1965 tornado is still legendary in this area:

[​IMG]

But as you see, the death toll was only about 10. It was certainly a tragedy for the families of those 10 people, but as natural disasters go, it's pretty benign.

N3AWS likes this.
  6. K4NWD

K4NWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Duh. Senior moment. Had the rig connected to the 10 meter vertical. No wonder it wouldn't tune on 17m. o_O

N3AWS, SA1CKE and W7TCT like this.
  7. K4NWD

K4NWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Tornadoes can form just about anywhere. There was one on June 18, 2001 in Siren WI. Note the name. The power went out 20 minutes before the twister hit, so many had no warning. The irony of the town name is that the tornado warning siren in town was struck by lightning a couple months before and was scheduled to be repaired the next week. Amateur radio ops are mentioned in this article.

https://www.weather.gov/dlh/010618_...died as a,killed indirectly after the tornado.

N3AWS likes this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They went through the effort of installing a tsunami alert system here but it was put out of commission with Hurricane Maria in 2017. Just recently they put back some of the road signs "you are entering/leaving the tsunami area" but they have yet to repair the local siren after four years. The wires are just dangling. It might take a few hours to put it back together but they spend all their time finger pointing and responsibility dodging.

N3AWS likes this.
  9. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

This year here in South MS we have gotten multiple tornado warnings—probably even more than when I lived in Tulsa. AFAIK, no tornadoes have hit any closer than Gulfport, but when you get wakened at 2 AM with those warnings, well, it is quite an experience!

10. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This one's tricky. A servo motor showed up after it started squealing and dropping out of servo lock. The company that made it no longer exists so, naturally, stuff like this finds its way onto my bench. There's a gent in San Francisco who specializes in rebuilding older precision motors so I took all the chunks off of it and shipped it out a few months ago.

It took him a while to make the fixtures to turn the commutator, slot it, make new brushes, and balance the rotor. Oh boy, it sure looks fantastic!

Testing it on the bench before I sent it out, I discovered that the photo cell/transistor assembly wasn't putting out a strong signal, so I rebuilt that while waiting for the motor rebuild. Now it's going to go together and I'll fly out to LA to re-install it in a few weeks.

P1020732.JPG

N0TZU, SA1CKE, N3AWS and 2 others like this.