What did you do today that no one else did?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by W7UUU, Jul 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure if anyone else did or not today but I worked a guy who made his key with a 3-d printer. I've done it all now. 73 Rich

N3AWS, KD2ACO, K8PG and 1 other person like this.
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

N0TZU, KD2ACO and W9RAC like this.
  3. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I sharpened 27 chainsaw chains
    and help plant 500 Red Pine trees
    on a private estate.

Paul K8PG

N0TZU, N3AWS, PU2OZT and 1 other person like this.
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE NEW new.jpg

NO...........NO.......NO......... ONLY KIDDING....

OH MY GOD....... I HAVE ENUFF PROBLEMS
    DEALING WITH SHARPENING 1 CHAIN SAW

THANK YOU FOR YOUR OUTSTANDING
    SERVICE IN NAVY.

73 ES I WISH YOU SMOOTH SAILING

K1LKP

KD2ACO and KP4SX like this.
  5. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I repaired a cutterhead suspension box for a lathe similar to the one in the post above (mid 60's type).

A long-time friend of mine in Portland, OR called in a panic Friday because his stylus heat had stopped working.

We spent an hour on the phone trying to troubleshoot the problem and, after trying to solder a toggle switch over the bad switch contacts, he started blowing fuses and burning heater wires open.

My advice? Drain the oil out of the damper and send it here. He's the third owner of this lathe and I knew that it had lived a hard life before. This box has been iffy for a while. Unfortunately, the leaf switch parts are unique. Finding replacements would be difficult and time-consuming so I'm going to just beat it into submission.

This is how it came in.

P1020677.JPG

Over the eons, the contacts were brutalized as desperate people tried and get them to work. Ouch!
    Different contacts control the amplifiers, stylus heat, carriage brake, and cutter lift. It's really nice when that all works correctly.

P1020679.JPG

The short between the heater and +24v happened during an attempted repair. When Adam started blowing fuses, we decided he should ship it here.

P1020680.JPG

Wow, what a mess.

P1020682.JPG

So what you do is grab each contact with smooth tweezers and massage the wrinkles out of them.

P1020685.JPG

People mistakenly bend the contact arms when trying to adjust the relay. Any adjustments should only take place at the springs between the contacts.

P1020687.JPG

The carriage spindle brake +v supply contact was about 20 ohms. I had to solder the back of the contact where it was swaged into the leaf blade. That fixed it.

It took about 4 hours of surgery to straighten it all out.

P1020692.JPG

Fair and square. Back in the box it goes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    W7EDC, N0TZU, W7TCT and 1 other person like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sorry to say, the images are "hot linked" to your Gmail. They cannot be posted like this.

You'll need to download them and use "Upload a File" for the most reliable way to post.

:(

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AWS and KD2ACO like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Fixed! Yay!

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AWS likes this.
  8. KD2ACO

Thanks for the warning. I wouldn't have noticed until it was too late! :eek::p

N3AWS likes this.
  9. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I went through my file cabinet and shredded a bunch of old receipts, instructions, and warranty notices for old furniture and appliances that we haven't owned in years.

And while I was at it, went through old medical records to try to find out how much I weighed when I got married. The subject came up recently ... don't ask...

SA1CKE, KD2ACO and W7TCT like this.
  10. KD2ACO

I’m watching my weight… go up! :confused:

SA1CKE and W7TCT like this.