What did you do today that no one else did?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by W7UUU, Jul 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Derek from his You Tube channel, Vice Grip Garage could show up with a few sparkolators, a lightning whirler and other items and get her running in a few hours and drive her home 600 miles.

2. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Priceless to know each piston ring condition
    vs
    being driven by algorithms you'll never have a clue what they do.

Oliver

3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

John Golden heard that my spare Zuma frame is working so he sent an 8K memory card that's been driving him crazy.

P1020634.JPG

It would crash about 21 minutes into a 25 minute record side once in a while. Blanks are expensive but the wasted studio time and then missing FedEx is what really gets your blood boiling. Anyway, I'll fix it up. It may not be a chip, but he has a bunch of them, which is good because these parts are getting rare. I've got an extender card and a bubble sort program on an EPROM that makes finding the bad bank 'not too hard.'

The other item he wants me to get working is a Harmoni Mundi digital audio processing frame. This thing is from the late 80's and is used to equalize, compress, D-Ess, and change formats for digital audio mastering. Danny Weiss made lots of modules and you would get what you wanted until your wallet ran dry and then load up the rack and a nice remote box. This stuff was incredibly expensive at the time and it still sounds good.

P1020629.JPG

There was a 'bonus' screw rattling around inside. When it finds the backplane pins during a session, it becomes a "bone-us" screw.

P1020630.JPG

John sez the power supply is shot and, I forgot what "dog-years" are on a switching supply but it's about 30 years old, so I'm not even going to try to fix it. I'll fit something newer, smaller, and quieter into the frame.

P1020633.JPG

Usually, you can undo a few Molex connectors and take the back off but it looks like John suffered from Molexia and soldered the wires onto the pins.

I haven't worked on one of these in about 25 years but it's all coming back to me now! :p

A fully loaded rack would overheat the Molex blocks, oxidize the pins, and then fail in the middle of a Barbara Streisand session... and you miss FedEx again... on Friday. :mad:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    N3AWS, N0TZU and KG4RRH like this.
  4. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried to figure out how to program an ABB PLC.

N3AWS, N0TZU, N7VGO and 1 other person like this.
  5. SA1CKE

And I also spent about US$2500 on some tires so now I have a fresh set of summer wheels (Nokian Blue 2) and a fresh set of winter wheels (Nokian Hakka 10).

W7EDC, N0TZU and KG4RRH like this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I replaced the broken coolant reservoir in our old Kubota B2910 tractor. The plastic was severely degraded and brittle and a couple days ago I accidentally put my finger through it while changing the battery.

The dealer wanted $140 (!) but I found the same size bottle online for $38. The mount was very close, but needed to be adapted using tin snips, a Dremel tool, and epoxy, LOL!

5C716CED-A365-4903-8625-4ED007B25FFA.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    K8UDZ, N3AWS, WZ7U and 8 others like this.
  7. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Did the heat of the engine cause the plastic to turn brittle? If so, maybe wrapping the bottle in tinfoil would help keep it a little cooler?

8. N0TZU

That’s a good idea. Heat probably contributed, but the location of the hole was furthest away from the radiator, and the plastic closest to the radiator was still sound. Perhaps the plastic was also too thin in that region from a manufacturing defect. Solar UV might have contributed also since the hole location was closest to the grill trim which has ventilation screening. It’s pretty tight but some gets through. It was also 20 years old.

KD2ACO and N3AWS like this.
  9. N0TZU

Those winter tires look great. Here they are considerably more expensive than other brands unfortunately.

SA1CKE likes this.
  10. SA1CKE

They are expensive here too, but it's a case of you get what you pay for.

K8PG, KG4RRH, KD2ACO and 2 others like this.