What did you do today that no one else did?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by W7UUU, Jul 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0TZU

    N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    I love it! How well does it work?
    K8PG and KD2ACO like this.
  2. KD2ACO

    KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

    That shot knocked me down for about 3 days. I wasn't expecting that either! I'm a bit worried to get the second dose but shingles is much worse. :confused:

    @W7HV is making me feel better... I'd better go for the second dose.
  3. NN4RH

    NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Nothing happened until about 12 hours after the shot. Then pretty bad chills & shivering for about 6 hours, followed by a fever for about 6 hours. Everything ached. Bad headache. Arm felt like someone had bopped it with a sledge hammer. Didn't feel back to approaching 100% until this morning. So about 36 hours.

    Well, I knew ahead of time that I had a 40% chance of having side effects, but I was hopeful I'd be in the other 60%.

    One of my wife's freinds' husband got Shingles recently and he got hit pretty bad with it and looked pretty gross. Before I retired, I had one of my people had Shingles and it took him months to recover fully, had to take a lot of time off from work, and ended up with pretty bad scars all over his head and face.

    So Shingles is something I don't want to get but I've put off the vaccine until now because I didn't want to risk getting laid up by the side effects.
    N3AWS, KG4RRH and KD2ACO like this.
  4. N3AWS

    N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

    Biggest problem I had with the SHINGRIX vaccine was getting the inoculation. When we first got it at Travis the supply would run out very quickly. Even working in the hospital, by the time I would get to Immunizations they would be out already. It took several months to finally get dose number one. Number two was even worse. I finally got my second dose about three months later at a local CVS.

    Only symptom was mild soreness at the injection site which didn’t last long.

    My wife suffered through Shingles in her thirties and has permanent scarring on her back.

    The previous vaccine wasn’t very good, but SHINGRIX Is much better.
    W9JEF likes this.
  5. KK9W

    KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

    Finally made it back to work after having "the virus." My wife wasn't too sure I was going to make it. I can tell you from my experience that the worst part of it was delirium from the lack of sleep for over a week. I couldn't sleep because when I would lie down my fever would spike to not so safe levels.

    Today I feel well enough to put the one leg of my OCF that I had to take down. My wife's cousins came to cut hay and it would have been a close call for the tractor to pass below it. Motivation to put it up higher.
    W7EDC, N3AWS, KG4RRH and 1 other person like this.
  6. NN4RH

    NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Resurfaced a concrete bird bath. I doubt if anyone else did that today.
    W7UUU and KD2ACO like this.
  7. WF7A

    WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

    @NN4RH How did you do that? Our concrete bird bath could use having that done.
    KD2ACO likes this.
  8. NN4RH

    NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Pressure wash first to remove loose concrete. Then just apply a cement mix with a flexible plastic putty knife (like a Bondo spreader). You can get a “ concrete resurfacer” cement mix from Lowes or Home Depot;but I just used some hydraulic cement I had around. Doesnt look pretty but should keep it from crumbling any more.
    WF7A likes this.
  9. KY4GD

    KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    Today, I tried a number of different ways to string my end fed antenna. Here at this restricted condo, my entire backyard is literally the size of an Airstream RV bathroom, and options are quite limited. Currently, the antenna runs from a window down to the top of a fence that surrounds our postage stamp back yard.

    I spent several hours measuring and tinkering, to see if adding a six foot wall-mounted flagpole outside a third floor window and dropping a wire would put sufficient distance between an antenna and the building, by extending a 10' wood dowel out the window to simulate the flagpole. After it started to rain, I postponed that project, and did some carpentry work, adding some soundproof insulation to the basement holding cells, so that dinner guests don't hear my victims screaming for help, and then I reprogrammed the HA automation that alerts us when laundry is done.

    (One of those might be a joke...)
    PU2OZT likes this.
  10. DK7OB

    DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

    I made my first PCB layout ever, using KiCad. Ordered prototype boards which was surprisingly cheap (25 Euros for 6 boards, including a 2 Euro donation to KiCad), even if they are made in Germany, not in China.
    AD5HR, N3AWS, WZ7U and 4 others like this.

Share This Page