What did you do today that no one else did?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by W7UUU, Jul 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Demolished a shed on one of our properties.

Not that that is anything special.

But TONIGHT I will set a new world record for Tylenol consumption!

KD2ACO, N0TZU, AD5HR and 1 other person like this.
  2. KG4RRH

KG4RRH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I talked the wife down to something more sensible than a full size land yacht. We're starting with a stripped down, long version of a Minnie Winnie first, then it goes to a small custom shop to make it nearly (hopefully) every thing she wants ....got to keep the wife happy.

N3AWS likes this.
  3. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In my case my wife is a pretty safe driver, but she doesn't like to drive and therefore I do 90% of the driving when we travel. These days though, 12 hours seems to be the max I can go before I need a real break. I used to do 14-16 hours in one go. I was never one of those people that felt safe driving for 24+ hours straight.

KD2ACO and N3AWS like this.
  4. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2021-9-10_7-8-36.jpeg
    Our Jayco Whitehawk (2013) has just about everything I would want for a camping trip or even full-timing on the road. But it’s a bit too big for me to feel comfortable hauling it anywhere except on the interstates. I really liked our old class C. Maybe now that I am retired another class C would make sense.

VK6APZ, KJ5T, KD2ACO and 1 other person like this.
  5. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is a computer from the late 70's used in process control (in this case, groove geometry on a record cutting lathe). It has aches and pains that have rendered it unserviceable unless it gets a total rebuild. No Problem. I can still get all of the parts needed. The 256-bit memory chips are getting tough to find and the peripheral controller is also rare now. I've got a nice stash of those and everything else is not difficult.

P1020555.JPG

This one has had a bunch of mods done to it. Step one, turn it back into a stock unit and evaluate the situation from there.

VK6APZ, N7VGO, DK7OB and 6 others like this.
  6. KG4RRH

KG4RRH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We were tent campers for the years when the kids were growing up and continued until we had the first two grandkids with us a few year ago. Aging pushed us (...her mostly) away from tents and she started looking at "other" methods to travel and stay close to nature. Initially, I wanted a class B just for us. She however had zeroed in on the large (40-60'+) custom class A "land yacht" idea, based mostly on what we ended up with for our boat (i.e. big and roomy). Until she finally understood we wouldn't be able to stay in most of the places we want to visit and traveling would only happen on roads and streets that could handle semi's, she was fairly well stuck on that thought. I had started looking at the mid-range class C rigs and how we could get the amenities she wanted with the OCCC we wanted; we ended up where we're at. Retirement and aging in general kind of pushed us into a "need" for comforts and getting something that she or I could do all the normal things like driving/parking, connecting/disconnecting, setup/take down, .... was key. Our only "open" item is do we tow a small car or not but we've decided to hold off on that call until after our first year with the class C.

N3AWS likes this.
  7. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

What a flashback!
    Reminds me of some of the first generation arcade video games.
    TTL or CMOS?, really cool project.

KD2ACO, N3AWS and W7UUU like this.
  8. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This computer is a Cromemco S-100 Buss do-hingy. It's about the same time frame as the Altair and Apple 2, OSI Challenger, and other late 70's goodies. It's mostly 74 series TTL with a bit of LS on the later boards. The A/D/A card has a few CMOS chips as multiplexers but it's mostly TTL also. The 8k PROMs are getting rare (2716). I can't find my one remaining laptop with an LPT port on it so I can run my programmer that does these chips. I'm still trying to find stuff after moving.

This ZUMA is running v1.5 and I wanna put v1.6 in it.

It's really funny because, in the manual, the designer suggests (grasping at straws to find useful things for your new, expensive computer to do other than cut records) that you could have it start your coffee in the morning before you show up at the studio. There are a couple of relay closures and a real-time clock board if you feel the need to be modern in 1979. :p

P1020559.JPG P1020561.JPG

The ribbon cables are brittle and I'm going to make up 2 new sets... one for my Zuma also!

I love the "High Speed, 4MHz" sticker on the memory board. The Zuma was originally from Warner Bros studio in LA, ca. 1980's (written on the PROM).

It lives in a cutting studio in Queens doing the Reggae Mon! His lathe is down, so I've got to get him going.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    N0TZU, N0NC, AB2YC and 2 others like this.
  9. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Finished the network upgrade at the harbor office at work.

10. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have a few 2716s to 2764s and some 256-bit RAM chips, IIRC they are 2101-A .
    Lots of 74 series chips around here, left over from the 80s.

SA1CKE and KD2ACO like this.