What did you do today that no one else did?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by W7UUU, Jul 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Celebrated my 36th anniversary :)

N0TZU, N3AWS, PU2OZT and 5 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Happy Anniversary!!

Dave
    W7UUU

PU2OZT and AB2YC like this.
  3. KG4RRH

KG4RRH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Signed a formal agreement for a custom designed/built RV. A full motor coach to carry the wife and I along with 4 of our closest friends ( :):)) around the interior of North and South America.

I hope between part shortages (chips again!) and other issues driven by covid, we'll have it by April next year...

On edit: That didn't look right; how about - Anyone else here doing that? Trying to keep the wife happy.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I could do without the 4 extra people.
    Is this going to be more bullshit like the boat saga with no pics?

W5BIB likes this.
  5. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Happy Belated Anniversary!

AB2YC likes this.
  6. KG4RRH

:) We'll see.

The other four folks are more than just "friends". They're the wife's closest sisters and brother-in-laws, one is one year older and the other 13 mouths younger. She has 7 sisters and 2 living brothers total but the "three" have been closest since early childhood; us in-laws just folded into the three of them 40+ years ago. Over the years we've done a LOT of camping/boating/diving/hunting/riding/.... together and since retiring, we tend to visit each other 3 or 4 or so times a year when we don't meet to work in the family winery. We all live several hundred miles from each other.

7. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

CAUTION: Thread drift to follow!

So, the wife and I have spent some time the last couple of months visiting "local" national parks. Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Black Canyon of the Gunison, Rocky Mountain, (Just the mountains not the park) Glacier, Rainier, Mt. Saint Helens, and quite a few state parks. Hours and hours of driving across the Pacific Northwest states, and I get to do all of it!

It's exhausting. I do a lot, and I mean a lot, of driving for my job, so chauffeuring my wife to and from to these parks is almost like being at work, but with much better company!

I say this because of the responses from @KG4RRH about getting an RV and driving long distances. Mike, if I were you, I'd reconsider that plan, or at least make sure that you don't do all the driving. I can't tell you how many times, my wife says: "Did you see that?" or a variation, but my response always is: "No I can't look over there because I'm watching traffic!" or a variation on that theme.

I have driven those monster RV's and it takes a lot of careful driving and concentration to shepherd that thing thru traffic, especially in cities. In the country, when driving the land yacht, have a heart and consider those poor saps trapped behind your lumbering monster and pull over once in a while, OK?

That is the main reason I prefer driving on freeways: I can at least have a much better chance passing the land yachts than I do on a two lane twisty national park road, or one of the many highways and byways traversed in getting to and from the parks and other attractions.

So... Just got back from a four day excursion to Glacier National park. Got there in between the smoky days and had a good look at this park under almost ideal conditions. Pretty spectacular, and well worth the drive, but I'm pooped today!

OK.. That's my contribution to today's thread drift.

N0TZU and W5BIB like this.
  8. KG4RRH

Good advice, always welcome.

Luckily, the wife and I try to share required "work" in most of our travels already, whether that evolves driving a car/truck towing a trailer or boat, piloting a small to large boat (or aircraft in the past), or just fixing dinner. She's been one of those that disagrees strongly with the male/female stereo type roles and has since we met long ago. She's also still is a good learner in new skills. For most of the long trips already being planned out by her and her two sisters, there will be others capable to operating things onboard but of course we'll see how things go and adapt accordingly.

Spreading the "work load" always has made things more enjoyable in the past for us, I hope it continues with this next step.

KD2ACO likes this.
  9. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Must be nice--as much as I love The Wifoid, she's an unsafe driver so I do all the driving everywhere we go, short and long-haul. Whenever I begin to tire while driving, I imagine her driving then I'm wide awake for another four hours.

WG7X and W5BIB like this.
  10. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Boy ! Driving a Mega-Buck Land Yacht through Central & South America would be tops on my "To Do List" :rolleyes:

N7VGO and WG7X like this.