ad: w3ff

What did advanced hams do to become extras

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6FYK, Mar 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WD9GNG

WD9GNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Anybody remember Dec 2006 FCC changes that expanded the voice sub bands? Pretty nice at the time!!!

75 Meters
    License Class - - - New Voice Privileges

Extra Class - - Currently 3750-4000 kHz - - New Phone - - 3600-4000 kHz - - +150 kHz
    Advanced Class - - Currently 3775-4000 kHz - - New Phone - - 3700-4000 kHz - - +75 kHz
    General Class - - Currently 3850-4000 kHz - - New Phone - - 3800-4000 kHz - - + 50 kHz
    40 Meters
    Extra Class - - Currently 7150-7300 kHz - - New Phone - - 7125-7300 kHz - - +25 kHz
    Advanced Class - - Currently 7150-7300 kHz - - New Phone - - 7125-7300 kHz - - +25 kHz
    General Class - - Currently 7225-7300 kHz - - New Phone - - 7175-7300 kHz - - +50 kHz
    15 Meters
    Extra Class - - 21200-21450 kHz - - New Phone - - No change
    Advanced Class - - 21225-21450 kHz - - New Phone - - No change
    General Class - - 21300-21450 kHz - - New Phone - - 21275-21450 kHz - - +25 kHz
    10 Meters
    Novice (10M)* - - 28300-28500 kHz - - New Phone - - No change
    License Class - - New CW Privileges
    Novice (10M)* - - 28100-28500 kHz - - New CW - - 28000-28500 kHz - - +100 kHz
    (*=includes Technician Class operators who have passed a Morse code exam.)

Ken
    WD9GNG

W4KYR likes this.
  2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So I was perusing the forums list when I saw this one, I said to myself, Oh look, a mud puddle. :)

W5WN likes this.
  3. N1NA

N1NA Subscriber QRZ Page

I am having difficulties trying to find the date of my first callsign, WB1ASW - upgrade to Extra in the late 60s. Current holder of WB1ASW is my XYL. To the best of my knowledge, the callsign has only been issued to me and, now, my XYL.
    Yes, I did have pass 20 WPM, but easy for me as I was a Morse intercept and DF operator for super secret agencies that "hired" us from the military ranks, and military pay.

4. NG7P

NG7P Ham Member QRZ Page

Didn't have constant distractions like today of smart-phones... Study materials consisted of books and copied paper notes with very limited internet (dial-up - no broadband) resources... Lots of studying groups and Elmers who made sure you have time for non-interrupted study. At least a basic math skill level of Algebra I maybe a little higher. And code proficiency practice (both receiving and sending) @ 5 w.p.m then 13 w.p.m and then 20 w.p.m. This took patience and time...

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I guess zombies need love too... :)

Me? I know it's kind of a cliché around here, but I remember the Advanced written test as being more difficult than Extra. However, as was always the case, the written exam was really not very hard at all; it was the code test that gave everybody pause back in the dark ages (or golden age if you prefer :p ). I recall my old man cautioned me to get my speed up to 30 - 35 to make up for nervousness on exam day. I spent considerable time on the air and also copying W1AW. I was a little nervous, sure, but after those weeks at higher speeds, 20 wpm actually sounded pretty tame. :)

At any rate, all that aside, I was proud of the accomplishment, very proud, and still am. ;)

KD4MOJ, N1NA and K3XR like this.
  6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was just 15 when I passed the 20 wpm code test and the two written exams to go from General to Extra in one day. :)

K8PG likes this.
  7. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am an Extra. never learned one letter of Morse Code and never will as there is no need or use for Morse Code anymore. For the test, all I did was look at then test pool Q/A the night before. It was so easy my wife and son who cannot spell Radio or Morse passed the General by looking at the Test Pool questions. Just like a CB license, pay the fee and fill out the application. . Nothing to it.

8. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Really? You ought to at least know S and O. You can throw another S in, in a pinch.

9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you mean the late 1970s. Your QRZ bio page says 1978.

Have you checked the internet archive of callbooks?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  10. K8KWT

K8KWT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope your a bad guy for trashing the Marines :)

You had to know that was coming. You must have been a Squid :)

Bob K8KWT