What did advanced hams do to become extras

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6FYK, Mar 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I think his point is (feel free to interpret it for me Steven) he is sick of all the tech "bashing" that goes on here on the interwebs. If someone is secure in their license class, why would someone even acknowledge any "bashing" of their position? It really is only a vocal minority here that perpetrates the fiction about the technician level of license, so why let what a handful of goobers say ruin your outlook? Technician for life is not something to be ashamed of - embrace it! In many ways the accomplishments of vhf and up are much more difficult to achieve than on hf alone, I get that.

But, it's OK if someone wants to live their life all butthurt over what other people say. It's a free country (sort of) in that respect. Just don't expect the rest of us to Molly coddle you along in the process.

Mr. Turpin, in post #26, had the best idea all along, and I don't wish to go down this road any further unless someone were to get the wrong idea of where I come from. I personally got my extra level license so I wouldn't have to worry about arbitrary band edges ever again. Otherwise I was perfectly happy at advanced for those years I held it, but when the opportunity presented itself I said "Self, you better get it over with right here and now". So I did. Now you know. Oh, BTW, I like the picture over the Pacific behind the clouds; very nice. Also, the image below is a jab at what was being represented in the movie "Pink Floyd The Wall" as the symbol of authoritarian power. Now you know.
    trust us.jpg 73, Eric

KU5Q, N2AMM, WD4DXQ and 1 other person like this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

My previous post ^^^ was a joke of course..

I have much respect for the guys who had to pass a real test before the license giveaways of 2007.

K6LPM likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have ABSOLUTELY NO shame for the tests I've taken and passed nor anyone else, at any level.

Flame on - my "flame suit" just came back from the cleaners. I don't care. I did what I did, you did "what you did" - it's all good. Just please don't demean what I did by what I did "back in the day". It was how it was done then, and I did what it took to do it. Other folks "did what the law allowed then" and I get and respect that

I get tired of being picked on for it cuz I did it "back then"

Dave
    W7UUU

K8PG, VK6APZ, WB0MPB and 3 others like this.
  4. WD8ED

WD8ED Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For those that care about these things I don't think it's about the "ticket" which one has as much as how he got there. I also tend to not judge on things like license class or things like that. I just on actions and behavior.

Dave, if you completed the Extra in 1997, you still took the Advanced test. ;-) Since one must have completed all lower levels of the testing, technically there was no skipping any class of license. You were just never issued an Advanced call. You buying that?

The facts are the facts, every time the licensing structure gets tweaked it gets easier to accomplish. Whatever. That's the whole point and by design. You aren't going to add new hams by making things tougher. That logic only works on those dumb enough to become Marines! Electronics and especially Radio/RF techs and engineers aren't as plentiful as they used to be, and they have to come from somewhere. So yup, many new and old hams are not as technically accomplished as they used to be. What are you gonna do?

I took and passed the extra written a couple of decades ago. But never attempted the 20 wpm test. There was no point. I wasn't spending enough time with code to progress. Then I took a 20+ year break from the hobby for family and career purposes. Upon return I was initially disappointed to find out that it got a easier and that things like real testing and code testing kind of helped keep the rift raft out. Which I think it did to a degree. But I also see the need to keep numbers up. I haven't upgraded since getting back in because I still haven't missed much with my Advanced ticket, I'll get to it sooner or later. I simply just don't care that much. It's a hobby. I'm retired now. I'd like to keep working on the various challenges the hobby provides. Mainly 80 and 160m. Don't let the knuckleheads ruin a hobby for you.

After getting back into ham radio after a very look break, I stumbled into a thread here about how "Advanced Class hams don't upgrade because they are ham snobs!". Until that moment I had not even considered any thing like that. I had my own reasons. I found it hard to believe that somebody thought that way...either way! All these years of just minding my own business and now I'm a bad guy because I hadn't upgraded yet? What? Are there really "Advanced Class ham snobs" out there? Come forth and admit your guilt!

Thanks,

Ed

K6LPM and W5WN like this.
  5. N4XRD

N4XRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got my ticket Friday. My current skill level is short wave listener working on learning HF phone. All this talk inspires me to push further into the ether. I continue my book studies now working on Extra. Code is on the horizon for me also. It may actually be more difficult in some ways now because it is not required. You have to want it. But I love all the comments as it helps me learn a bit of history & my hat's off to anyone who's ever become an amateur radio operator. Don't have enough years left to catch up with the long time hams but I do want join in for the duration of my time. Had a few contacts already & even did my first rag chew last night. That's all the braggin' rights I have for now....

Just out here in the sticks, KN4 KQT

K8PG, W9FTV, K4AGO and 6 others like this.
  6. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what I had to do - ex KF2OK in 1993

7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want people to "be nice" - at least get the history right. Don't troll and then expect others to respect you.

Some facts for you:

1) There was no auto-upgrade of Advanced to Extra in 2000, nor 2007.

2) In 2000, FCC began eliminating the Tech Plus by changing the license class to Technician upon renewal or modification. By 2010 the last remaining Technician Plus was gone.

3) In 2007, when the last remaining code test was dropped, all Technicians got HF privileges the same as Novices, regardless of code testing status.

4) Novices did not get an auto-upgrade to anything.

5) Any current Technician who can show they held a Technician before March 21, 1987, can apply for a no-test upgrade to General. But it's not automatic - has to go through the VE system.

Those are the facts.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    W7UUU, K8BZ, KK5JY and 1 other person like this.
  8. AC3GO

AC3GO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"N2EY, post: 4596669, member: 247825"]If you want people to "be nice" - at least get the history right. Don't troll and then expect others to respect you.

Some facts for you:

1) There was no auto-upgrade of Advanced to Extra in 2000, nor 2007.

2) In 2000, FCC began eliminating the Tech Plus by changing the license class to Technician upon renewal or modification. By 2010 the last remaining Technician Plus was gone.

3) In 2007, when the last remaining code test was dropped, all Technicians got HF privileges the same as Novices, regardless of code testing status.

4) Novices did not get an auto-upgrade to anything.

5) Any current Technician who can show they held a Technician before March 21, 1987, can apply for a no-test upgrade to General. But it's not automatic - has to go through the VE system.

Those are the facts.

Joe F.jpg

K4AGO likes this.
  9. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You certainly are.

AC3GO, K4AGO, K8BZ and 1 other person like this.
  10. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I was #2!

A great comedian, Redd Foxx, once said something like this at the end of one of his shows :

If I've offended anyone during my routine I just want them to know, I personally don't give a s**t!

AF7XT and K8PG like this.