What decent HF rig can I get for $500?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0CPH, Nov 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE0CPH

KE0CPH Ham Member QRZ Page

I was going to be getting an IC-756 Pro but currently don't have the funds to secure it and someone else was able to snag it, probably.

Since I'll more than likely not be able to get this rig, what other rigs should I go looking for?

1. Prefer an all mode radio, although the lack of AM and FM isn't a deal breaker.
    2. Doesn't need 6m or anything higher frequency. Plus if it can though.
    3. Doesn't use tubes. I already have an FT-101ZD, love it but not wanting another hybrid.
    4. Needs to push at least 100 Watts.
    5. Brand does not matter. As long as it's a well received radio, I don't care.

2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Push at least 100 Watts? CB is calling you..."Come back! Come back!!" You're a Technician so unless you want to do CW then a Ranger would work fine.

N3AB and W4IOA like this.
  3. W8IXI

W8IXI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Then sell the FT-101ZD and put the proceeds towards the purchase of an FT-450D.

K4AGO, KG5ILR, N2UHC and 1 other person like this.
  4. KE0CPH

...I'm a General.

N2AMM, K1IGS and NY7Z like this.
  5. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A used rig on ebay is your best bet for under $500. Just about all HF radios output 100 watts with only a few putting out 200 watts.

You'll also need a power supply. There are units out there for just over $100. Check Amazon

AJ6KZ likes this.
  6. KE0CPH

I'm not selling the Yaesu lol. I'm currently selling a bunch of my vintage computers.

7. W8IXI

W8IXI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Then tell us how much you think that you might have on hand to spend......

It will help all of us who want to help. :)

8. KE0CPH

At the moment, I don't have anything to spend. At least not on a radio. I'm wanting to save up $500 for a radio though. So, I'd like to know what $500 could get me for recommended radios.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The FT-101ZD is a pretty fine radio, if you already have it. Old? Sure. Hybrid? Of course. But I love my Henry Radio Tempo One (among numerous other rigs) as well as my SB-101 - they are both almost 100% tubes, not just hybrids. If I already OWNED one, I'd be looking more at "where can I put $500 into the best antenna situation I can muster".

So my advice: Put the $500 into antennas, and really get to know one of the classic radios of all time - the FT-101 - one of the most iconic radio series in the history of ham radio. That is, at least as long as it wasn't hacked to death with the "golden screwdriver" of a CBer in years past. That was pretty common for the FT-101 rigs.

Oh, and how exactly does a radio "push watts"? o_O

It either has "input power of 100 watts" or it as "output power of 100 watts". Both are very different in definition, calculation, and usage.

However there is no rating of "watts that are able to be pushed" :)

Dave
    W7UUU

W4RAV, K4AGO, KE4OH and 4 others like this.
  10. KE0CPH

I actually already made an 80m doublet. That's the best I can do for my living conditions.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Yaesu but I'd like something a bit more modern as well.