What could be the issue with my FT-101ZD?

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KE0CPH, Nov 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KE0CPH

KE0CPH Ham Member QRZ Page

So, it looks like almost all the bands on my FT-101ZD work. I'm having issues on 20 and 17 though and recently 30 seems to be working intermittently.

For the issues on 30 and 17, I hope it's an electrolytic capacitor issue since adjusting the VFO brightness can change the display or in some cases, only on 30, bring me back to the proper frequency display.

As for 20, it used to do the same issue as 17 and 30 but it now displays the frequency just fine but no RX and no TX power output.

All other bands work fine and put out at least 100 Watts, at least according to the MFJ 949E above the radio.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about:

2. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

That's very weird ! (glad you posted the video, as I didn't really follow what you had said)

I'm not VERY familiar with the FT101Z . . . but I'm presuming it's a voltage regulation issue, ie when you increase the Display brightness you are loading a circuit, which is then affecting the supply voltage to the VFO, or maybe the PLL.

That MAY be caused simply by dirty connections . . . so try unplugging and spraying all the connectors around that part of the rig.

Roger G3YRO

3. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Switches and relay's have you tried cleaning them? Remember the 'Pre-selector intermittent switching comes to mind, don't forget all the mini rf plugs and sockets.

Dave

4. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Find out where the power for the circuit that knob uses to adjust the display and measure it.

Rege

5. KE0CPH

I apparently lied, 20 does RX and it RX well, just doesn't TX.

6. G3YRO

Well that may well be a completely different fault . . .

Try cleaning all the board connectors and the bandchange switch contacts first, and see what happens . . .

You just need a good Switch Cleaner/Lubricant . . . spray it on each switch wafer and rotate it back and forth.

Roger G3YRO

7. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A shot of cleaner and exercising the switches might help.
    I noticed when switching bands it seemed to take several seconds on just about every band for the display to settle down.
    My 101ZD goes straight to frequency when switching.
    Do the bandswitch, pre-select, all the buttons under the vfo dial and the rx-tx buttons and clarifier.

May also be a relay issue ....... Roger?

Matt

8. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

It could be any of those things Matt, or something else all together.

I found I could repair a lot more gear by observing symptoms, examining the schematic, and taking voltage and signal measurements of the defective circuitry,

Than by randomly poking wires and spraying "tech in a can" over everything.

Rege

9. G3YRO

I agree that's best, if you have the skills to understand the circuitry. (but many don't)

But cleaning all the switches and connectors is something you should do every few years ANYWAY, as routine servicing . . . .

And in LOADS of cases, it fixes all kinds of strange faults (and prevents others happening later).

Yes it's always worth cleaning the main Relay contacts every few years too . . . but I wouldn't have thought this was the issue in this particular case.

Roger G3YRO

10. KE0CPH

When I first received the radio, I did spray contact cleaner on the switches and took out the cards to spray those too, along with the RCA looking connectors. That fixed A LOT of issues it did have, maybe doing it again will help out.

A cap replacement is something that I do plan on doing, regardless, since those electrolytic caps are from the 70's/80's. I've got a solder station and all that stuff, just need to order the caps.

I shouldn't have to get it re-tuned for just replacing the caps, do you think? That's one thing that's beyond my capabilities.