What continent is Hawaii for QRZ World Continents award?

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by AF6G, Jan 12, 2020 at 8:08 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AF6G

AF6G Ham Member QRZ Page

Subject says it all. I have Hawaii confirmed on QRZ.com, but still lack 1 continent for the award - Asia. ARRL lists Hawaii as Oceania. I don't see Hawaii on the QRZ map showing my worked and missing continents. Somebody please advise. Thanks in advance!

2. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would agree on Oceania, but google searches list it as North America...

There must be some difference of opinion on that one.

3. AF6G

AF6G Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I think there has been some difference of opinion for the classification of various entities between, ARRL, CQ Mag, QRZ, etc., over the years.

But still, where or where is HI for QRZ? :)

4. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So, I went into my QRZ awards page and looked there to see what QRZ had entered there for Oceania from my log and sure enough, KH6 was there more than once. So QRZ apparently agrees with us on the continent that Hawaii is in.

Now, then! The problem might be related to what continent the Hawaiian stallion has entered for their QRZ records. Don't forget that callsigns in the USA don't all reflect the actual station location. So go back to your log and look to see what the other stations have down as their station location.

Might be a problem there, might not. Worth looking into!

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, HI is Oceania

6. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ credits Hawaii as Oceania:

hawaii.jpg

7. AF6G

AF6G Ham Member QRZ Page

The station; WH6S, indeed shows as "Continent: OC - Oceania" in his QRZ page. But still, what continent is Hawaii for QRZ purposes? Is Oceania - Asia - to QRZ? [apparently not or This post would not exist and I would have the award] Or is Hawaii in Oceania, but considered in the the North American continent for QRZ Awards purposes? I have emailed QRZ support and will advise their reply when I receive it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020 at 1:55 AM
  8. AF6G

AF6G Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I zoomed in on the award map, found Hawaii and hovered over the still microscopic spec [something I could not do on the default map image]. I noted that North America highlighted, soooo it's lookin' like HI is NA, not Asia.

9. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Open your logbook
    Click on Awards
    Highlight your callsign and scroll to World Continents award and click on it
    You will note that you have satisfied the requirement for Oceania with one QSO on 20 meters
    Click on the "1"
    Note that the one credit was satisfied by your QSO with Hawaii, specifically with WH6S

HAWAII is recognized by QRZ as OCEANIA continent. You still need a QSO with ASIA to satisfy the Award.

hawaii.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020 at 2:31 PM
  10. AF6G

AF6G Ham Member QRZ Page

From QRZ support: "Hawaii is counted as Oceania."

But, as noted above, NA highlights when you hover over HI.

Oh well, now I know.