What can you fit on a bicycle?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KL7AJ, Jul 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

One of my first genuine Alaskan friends was a VERY early adopter of the "Fat Bike" which was actually invented in Fairbanks. Although I'm a "skinny tire" sort of cyclist, the fat bike suggested all kinds of places you could fit a radio...even an HF station. You could very easily mount an 857D in the frame, and put the control head up on the handlebars. Anyway...I don't know how popular fat bikes are in the "real world" (Lower 48), but it might be a neat thing to explore.

2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

The "fat tire" bicycles and "adventure bicycles" are here.

I purchased a Schwinn econo-box bicycle that is set up like a mountain bike. The tires are medium weight bicycle, however.

I mounted Schwalbe "Big Apple" tires on a little 20" tire "Camping World" folding bicycle, made in China.

I seldom see a "road bike" here, and then, it is a bicycle tourist riding our USA The Highline or The Northern Route, Portland Oregon to Portland, Maine.

I would want to protect my transceiver from getting hammered by the journey on the road.

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't fit my wife on one.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to get a bigger seat for mine. :rolleyes:

5. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to replace the "ginormous" seat on the Camping World folding bicycle.

6. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

You could but a large enough battery to be useful is the kill joy.

7. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Rem, K6BBQ is a local (to me) ham who has done a fair bit of recumbent tricycle mobile operating. He has several videos of him using his radio equipment in action.

https://www.youtube.com/user/K6BBQsHamShack/videos

On at least one of his videos, he lists equipment as a Yaesu FT-857D, Buddistick antenna, 18Ah battery and a 10 watt solar panel.

8. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

KC8VWM and AD5HR like this.
  9. VE7VTC

VE7VTC Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is my touring bike setup.
    My bicycle(s) are equipped with an FT-817ND (with 40W MiniPA50 amp on 80M-10M when I am off the bike). The antennas are good (dummy load - more or less) for 80M-10M, 6M 2M, and 70cm! The white tube under the antenna is a wound 20M wire counterpoise which helps steady the SWR (from the rider's body interaction). The antenna is isolated (not grounded) to the bike frame for the same reason. Matches fine on all bands with a LDG Z-817 tuner.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

US7IGN likes this.
  10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

No room for Vanna. Bummer.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo