What can JT65 do that PSK31 can't do? What can JT9 do that JT65 can't do?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KC0BUS, Oct 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. SV2EVS

SV2EVS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that is why we discuss those things...so...other radios do handle full power on those modes...ok, i guess i should haver checked before getting the ic-7000....kidding...what if i add some cooling as well ?

2. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Then I would say that you could run pretty close to full bore. I still wouldn't use a 7000 in a RTTY contest environment.

3. SV2EVS

SV2EVS Ham Member QRZ Page

I already know that the ic-7000 has a thing with heating problems...i whouldn't use it in full power either...but i am just wondering if someone has tryied it with extra cooling.

4. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I almost hate to post here. It is like whipping the dead horse to make it work harder.

It is lunch time here (16:00-17:00 UTC). I brought my lunch down to the shack to see if 10 meters was still hot like it was yesterday -- NO it isn't. But, 20 meter JT65/JT9 is crazy into Europe like it usually is.

I'm using my homebrew digital wiring mess for receiving (I'm glad it is all low voltage:D).

My waterfall (using WSJT-X) has been watching 14.076 +300 Hz to +3500 Hz . Interestingly, over the last 15-20 minutes, the number of detected JT65 vs., the number of JT-9 signals has been about equal. Sometimes I will see as many as 12 JT9s while seeing only 8 JT65s. Then the numbers reverse. On average, I'm seeing about 10 JT65 and 10 JT9 signals each minute. They range from the North American west coast to the far interior of Eastern Europe. Just no real northern or southern latitudes. PSK Reporter seems to bear out my findings for propagation.

Ken
    K8KJG

W0BTU likes this.
  5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

PSK31 also has the complete ASCII character set. In RTTY, you only have capital letters, so everyone thinks you're yelling. :)

6. W8IXI

W8IXI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the great things about ham radio is the choices available to ham operators.

Today we have more choices than ever and even more will be coming. If there is a mode you don't like or don't understand, search around the bands until you find one which better fits your personality and operating style.

73, Mike

AG5DB likes this.
  7. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Jerry, that's why I love jt65, it obviates the need to talk to another human. As a cyborg in process I deeply appreciate this.

W4NNF likes this.
  8. K3LRH

K3LRH Ham Member QRZ Page

...whenever I tune to JT signals, snakes start coming out of the woods.

9. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My DXSR8 manual only says 'long periods of transmitting might cause over heating'.

But I can do 1 watt or 10 watts instead of 100 watts.

10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Also, PSK31 has the full ASCII character set.