What benefit is there to becoming an Extra?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4QFY, Jun 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The chick that drives my ride when I'm working doesn't care for it. she has all the weirdos asking her what's her qth :eek:

W4IOA likes this.
  2. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you pass the Extra exam, you will never have to ask yourself whether you should take the Extra exam. In addition to the extra CW bandwidth, you get more SSB allocations on 40, 20 & 15. You will also learn a lot by studying for the exam. I lent my General book to a non-ham friend, hoping to get him to take the test. He didn’t and I just got the book back. Compared to the Extra manual, it seems skimpy.

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Which, if they weren't weirdos, would realize a quick stop at the zed would yield said information.

W4IOA likes this.
  4. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But they keep bringing her back :(

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Today when I get asked this question, I say because then you only have to remember the frequency where voice begins on each band.

KA0HCP, WG7X and W4IOA like this.
  7. AE0JN

AE0JN Ham Member QRZ Page

Basically what I did. I was set to take Tech & General in March, then quarantines hit, so I added studying Extra to the mix, and when things were finally nice enough out to allow testing at a local park, I sat all three one evening in early June.