What benefit is there to becoming an Extra?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4QFY, Jun 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4QFY

N4QFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Code is just cool. I know it's not required but, with some of the old guard, no code hams are worthless. I didn't want to see any of that old story. I've been wanting to learn since I first got licensed and have really only recently started getting serious about it. My main interest is portable QRP so code makes the most sense. I'm also a hiker so most of my goal locations are on top of mountains miles away from access points. I want to both through hike the Appalachian trail and to make at least one contact from every shelter on the trail. It might take longer but I think it will be fun.

2. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't upgraded because I don't find it easy. I sat through the local club classes on AE materials. I've read the ARRL extra book and West's book, and never had felt comfortable enough to take the test.
    I'm happy rowing at this time.

AF7XT likes this.
  3. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Happy birthday!

4. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for sharing!
    Totally awesome goal of thru-hiking the AT and taking amateur radio along with you.
    Maybe you can be the first to start ATSOTA - AT Shelters On The Air. :cool:

Regards,
    -Bruce

5. AC9UB

AC9UB Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn’t have a license but wanted HF privileges- preferably full- and I only wanted to pay the $15 fee once.

I was also curious what type call sign would be issued if I passed all 3 tests at once.

6. W1SS

W1SS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the fact that you can get a 1x2 callsign. Looks cool on a license plate.

7. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

any callsign looks cool on a license plate

8. N4QFY

I still have to do that.

9. N4QFY

I'm happy with my callsign. It was my grand dad's.

W9RAC likes this.
  10. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Chicks really dig hams. I'm afraid to put my callsign on my license plate because I don't want to be inundated by adoring women.

W9RAC and N4BC like this.