What benefit is there to becoming an Extra?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4QFY, Jun 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my extra back in '85 so I wouldn't have any issues getting full reciprocal licenses in England, Korea and Greece.

N1YR and K8PG like this.
  2. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you like or want to chase DX, its worth it.

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not having to keep track of all those class-privilege sub-bands.

W4IOA, AC0OB and KA9JLM like this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone needs to remember band limits regardless of operating privileges.

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

There are simple QRP rigs that can only operate within the amateur bands. They lack the flexibility to operate out of band, so there is no need to remember those facts.

Attached Files:

6. K1VSK

Are you implying this is typical of the logic behind saying Extra class licensees don’t need to consider band limits?

7. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

No. An Extra class license allows you to use radios that operate out of the amateur bands. If you want a license that allows you to do that then you do need to know the band limits.

But, once you get your Extra class license, I don't expect you to constantly have the band limits memorized, particularly if you become inactive.
    Nor do you need to know if you only have radios that can only operate where you are authorized to transmit.
    These days there are a ton of facts to keep track of. It may be best to prioritize on the important ones.

8. AD8FD

AD8FD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did it because I was already in "study mode", seemed like it would be harder to get back into it if I decided later I wanted it.

9. K1VSK

Huh?

To state the obvious, band limits apply to everyone.

10. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What? Help me understand how an Extra class license allows you to use a radio that is capable of transmitting out of band? Even a Technician could use a Baofeng that transmits out of the usual 144/440 bands. Of course transmitting there isn't legal but anyone that bought those 30 dollar radios is already using them.