ad: Flexradio-1

What? ARRL Petitions FCC to Expand the Shortwave Privileges of Technician-Class Hams

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by NW7US, Mar 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G5TM

G5TM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you provide a definition of what you mean by 'tainted' ? I'm intrigued?

WU8Y likes this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:

taint
    n 1: the state of being contaminated [syn: {contamination},
    {taint}]
    v 1: place under suspicion or cast doubt upon; "sully someone's
    reputation" [syn: {defile}, {sully}, {corrupt}, {taint},
    {cloud}]
    2: contaminate with a disease or microorganism [syn: {infect},
    {taint}] [ant: {disinfect}]

3. G5TM

Ah yes a dictionary definition. But adopting our shared nuance of the English language for a moment, would you care to place your use of the word 'tainted' into the context of the subject your use of the word addressed?

Ps - great copy and paste by the way ... super!

4. WN1MB

That copy and paste was from a terminal window under ratPoison under Debian Stretch Linux...just FYI. I've got the dictd server installed along with the WordNet dictionary. I'd be lost without that application. It's locally installed so even if my Internet goes down, I still have my favorite crutch.

As for application of "tainted" and the same language differences 'cross The Pond ...

... Fresh new blood would be preferred new hams with interest in assimilating.

Tainted new blood would be undesirables who bring habits not appreciated by rank and file amateurs.

5. G5TM

Thank you for your clarification . I trust you are not defining tainted ops as being so as a result of their previous use of 27mhz?

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why?

Ol' "Never Say Die" would never let facts and logic stand in the way.......

KA0HCP likes this.
  7. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two answers for that.

You assume we still have an incentive licensing system. I believe that expanded HF privileges are no longer the incentive they once were and so we must either create a new incentive or dispose of the idea of incentive licensing. The first answer to this is that we dispose of incentive licensing and differentiate the license classes by testing for the safe operation of the equipment that is permitted by the license. Much like how most every other licensing is done, such as driving a car or flying an airplane.

The second answer to this concern is to create a new incentive. Once we recognize that the current incentives are not working then we create a new incentive, that for operating with more output power, the ability to operate a repeater, become a VE, or other more advanced topics. Either answer can bring us to the same conclusion, we license not on the frequencies upon which one may operate but on the equipment allowed to operate with the license obtained. Much like how other nations license their Amateur radio operators. A common retort to this idea is that we need to look out for ourselves first, not other nations. My response is that Amateur radio is an inherently international radio service, we are obligated to maintain our rules in harmony with international laws and treaties. One way to do so is to harmonize our licensing with our international neighbors.

Of course you would. I don't care either. Well, I do care a bit. The point is to create a new incentive for upgrading. If newly licensed Amateurs get access to all Amateur frequencies with their license then that creates an incentive for those licensed under the current system to upgrade.

I believe the FCC is not opposed to a new license that grants access to all Amateur radio frequencies except that they don't want a half million angered Amateur radio operators writing them because of such a change. They would want to see that people with such a license cannot pose a problem to other Amateurs and other radio services, and so there would be a need to have testing appropriate to the license. I believe that this can be done if only there is enough community support for such a change. I further believe that this petition will give an indication on how open the Amateur radio is to such a change. If this petition is successful then that is a toe in the door to creating new license classes to replace the current General and Technician.

8. KC3HUM

KC3HUM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just discovered this and i had no idea until now that this petition existed.

No changes need to be made!!!
    Many a general class has no incentive to upgrade to extra because they already have access to hf on all bands. Allowing techs to use hf would do the opposite of incentivising a upgrade to general.

I decided to upgrade to general because i wanted hf and was encouraged to do so on the local repeaters. Admittingly now i dont have much determination to upgrade to extra, even though i will do it one day.

We dont need the hf waves to have unnecessary confusion by adding tech segments. And then probably even busier segments too on contest days because there will be more potential operators clustering there because everyone will know there will be the additional operators there (techs) to make contacts with.

How about the arrl do something productive and petition the fcc to requre a code requirement for the extra class license (im a no code general)???

9. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

They did do that, and the petition was denied.

From FCC 05-143:
    Do you expect such a petition to go over any better now? What new argument would you expect them to bring that would be any more convincing?

10. KC3HUM

Ac0gt. I certainly stand corrected on that point. I guess i was merely running on a assumption they wouldnt have fought that topic. Thanks for the info. Im learning cw right now and i think it would be nice to see the extra class license holders to have some “extra” skill than the rest of us. It is the original mode of radio...

11. WN1MB

I've just dug up that horse's bruised, battered, and decaying body for a fresh round of beating.

Batter up!

12. KC3HUM

Well some of us are new to the party here! :) we want our chance to batter that horse!