What are your ham radio goals for this year?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by KK9W, Feb 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

With warmer days approaching, opportunities arise to do work outside on antennas and get out in the field and enjoy our hobby outdoors. I'm no different, but I also have personal goals as an operator to achieve and learn that independent of weather.

1. I am finally planning to get coax ran from the basement shack and into the attic above the garage to install two VHF/UHF antennas above the roof for packet and repeater use.

2. I want to learn more about space weather and transciver performance characteristics and really inderstand what the numbers all mean and teach someone else.

3. I have fallen in love with CW. Through study and practice with the Long Island CW Club, I desire to achieve 15 wpm or better comfortable head copy.

4. Get the hole and concrete work done and have my tower base plate ready and plan for tower and antennas to be installed by late summer early fall when it's not 102 degrees.

So my question to you, fellow members of The Zed, is what are your ham plans and goals for 2021?

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

It was 83 degrees here today. Some of us don’t want it to get warmer.:)

WV4M likes this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Make more QSOs

SA6CKE likes this.
  4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Activate a summit with CW.

Chris

5. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I plan to do the antenna work that I have planned to do every year for the past fifteen years. No lie.

W1NJC, N8ZL, KC9QBY and 7 others like this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. Getting a 6-meter antenna up (Hurricane Sally took out the one I had).

2. Putting the 2-meter antenna on a decent mast to replace the pitiful TV mast that Sally nearly did for, and which is noticeably leaning.

3. To do these things, or at least number 1, before it gets too darned hot (as in late April).

4. I could say, "Give the shack a thorough cleaning and do something about my cable routing mess," but who would I be kidding?

:D

KK9W likes this.
  7. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have several projects lined up for this year, now that our 10 days and 20.5 inches of snow, an all time record for Arkansas, are behind us.

1. Insulation and finishing of the larger of 2 basements, also sealing/painting floor, additional lighting & GFCI outlets.

2. Installing a drop ceiling & insulation, as the larger basement is directly under the Master suite & large walk-in closet. This is a priority to keep the XYL happy!

3. Re-hanging multiple wire antennas, and installation of homemade 50' vertical.

4. Recap/refinish (2) HRO 50T1 receivers.

5. Set up & network 2 Afedri SDRs & 2 Icom PCR1000s for multiple band monitoring.

6. New construction & rework of fabrication & test benches.

7. Finalizing configuration & cabling for centralized servers , and wireless access points, tying in all the networking capable receivers, and bench gear( 2 HP scopes & spectrum analyzer).

8. Trying out some digital modes.

At present I do more monitoring than anything, in the background when I'm working on other projects. Started out as an SWL in 1961, need to break out of that habit/behavior, and put my signal out there, as K0UO said, 'make more QSOs'

Looks like I have a very busy year ahead, indeed.:)

N8ZL and KK9W like this.
  8. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Finish 5-Band WAS (CW), 2 states to go (248/250). Get some DX ATNOs if travel restrictions ever ease up. New DXCC entities on 10m and 12m CW.

K8PG and KK9W like this.
  9. AF7XI

AF7XI Ham Member QRZ Page

Digital (HT) radio and possibly a stealthy HF antenna.

KK9W likes this.
  10. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not wish to be your kind of busy, Sir! You are certainly getting after it.

NN5AA likes this.