What are you using now

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by JIMRUBEL, Nov 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

got dos on a stick I use for very old pcb software and quick basic every now and then or more likely further between. But it still works

2. K4RKY

K4RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

Windows 10 Home (ver. 1903) 64 bit on a Dell Optiplex the came originally with XP :). Works like a charm :)
    Keep them up to date.

3. W1XWX

W1XWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Windows 10

4. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Kubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS.

I recently changed from Ubuntu to Kubuntu which is an official alternative flavor of Ubuntu. I wish I had tried Kubuntu sooner. I guess it's a subjective choice but the UI seems cleaner and more modern than Ubuntu. Some WX widgets I was trying to use for GNU Radio worked on Kubuntu but not Ubuntu. That was before I learned that WX widgets are old and we should be using QT.

I run Windows 10 in VirtualBox just to run SDRSharp for my Airspy HF+ Discovery SDR.

Fldigi works nicely on Linux. With PulseAudio I can define a "virtual audio cable" which allows me to send the output of the SDR / VirtualBox into Fldigi

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  5. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

My present computer came with Win 7. I attempted the free Win 10 upgrade several times but it won't run properly on this hardware. I dumped Windows permanently and switched to Linux after that.

I have been using mostly Xubuntu for several years now (currently 19.04). I also have a MX Linux 18.3 persistent live USB. The Xfce desktop is hard to beat. It's simple, relatively easy to customize and just works.

The next Uubuntu relase will be next month and MX 19 is currently in beta and will be relased in the near future. I may install MX 19 if I like it more than Xubuntu 19.10.

6. HUNGHOANG

HUNGHOANG QRZ Member

If you’re a gamer or you’re working in an office network environment, Windows is the only relevant option.

7. AD8BU

AD8BU Ham Member QRZ Page

I've taken a liking to Ubuntu Mate. For the few Windows programs I have needed, I have Windows 7 and Windows XP VirtualBox images.

Of course the wife resists the power of the penguin, so her laptop and the shared PCs in the house are running Windows. One machine has Windows 7, the others have Windows 10.

8. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

My wife came home one afternoon in 2008 to find that the computer she regularly used was running Ubuntu 8.04LTS. After a few minutes of explanation, the issue was over.

Today, she is using Ubuntu 18.04LTS and is terribly frustrated any time she has to use a Windows computer.

9. K5UNX

K5UNX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I work with Linux every day for work. I like it. . . . For my ham radio laptop, it runs Win 10. Why? Because that is where most of the available Ham Radio related apps are. Yea there are some for Linux, but there is more for Win. It's not the OS, it's the applications that really matter. OS "Wars" are the same as religious disagreements.

10. AD8BU

AD8BU Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice! I wish I could get my wife to use Linux, but she won't let go of her love for Microsoft Office. She has to use it at her work, and I have an Office365 subscription from my employer, so I am using two of my installs at home for her. I suppose someday I could throw an older version on there that is supported by Wine and see what she says...