What are you using now

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by JIMRUBEL, Nov 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I just installed the latest Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 (KB4023057). I had it hanging around for about a week now. It installed in a few minutes with no issues, so far. I read the information on what it was for. It seems to be a update to fix the reliability of updates. I have never had any issues with updates, but it may benefit those that have had issues.

2. K6ZX

K6ZX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use Debian Linux for everything, including my ham shack. Usually I use the stable version (currently version 9.6 - stretch), but have used 'testing' several times over the years when I absolutely needed a package of a certain version, or I was bored and wanted to play around some. I've been a Debian user since around 1996 and started with Debian 1.1 (buzz). I am a retired engineer who worked in the defense industry and we became very heavy Linux users; I was on teams that developed communications equipment for the military with embedded Linux OSs that we put together ourselves (so-called roll-your-own). I've used a bunch of different Linux distributions over the years, but have always come back to Debian, I really love it.

If the OP is trying to decide upon an OS for the ham shack, any of the three (Windows, Mac OS, or Linux) will work fine. In my experience, Linux is more robust than Windows. This is a controversial opinion, I know, and I'm not trying to start a fight or tell anyone to use Linux. I served in the U.S. Army for 9 years during the Cold War so that everyone could have the freedom to use whatever OS they want to :). There is a learning curve to Linux that can be daunting for some and it isn't for everyone. What you get, when you achieve some level of competence with it, is incredible freedom to do pretty much anything with your computer that you want to. Even Mac OS, which is UNIX based, is a largely closed OS that doesn't permit the freedom of Linux (or any of the free/open UNIX's).

KD0KZE likes this.
  3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Dell 5500
    WIN10
    2-4 core Xeon 3.7Ghz
    72G Ram
    950 GTX card
    I was a Win7 holdout for quite some time. Finally had to use W10 at work & when it stabilized, put it on a cheap Atom powered netbook. It came alive. About 3X faster response time on most things & the only issue is Bluetooth, but I found a workaround.

Ed

4. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Just using any of the desktop GUIs is straightforward with the primary differences being the pictures and text. Administration is a different thing, fortunately, most hams will probably only need to add their username to the dialout group (on Debian and derivatives, at least) where a GUI app for doing so often exists and keep the system up to date. Some distributions automate that task by checking for updates and putting a notification on the screen then the actual updates are applied at the administrator's schedule.

Not only that, but if a piece of software falls into not being actively developed, the availability of the source and the release of same under a Free Software license means that someone else may pick it up and keep it in active maintenance/development. This last point is applicable to a lot of software available on the various platforms but really started in the Unix world. As I see it, this is sort of an insurance policy against having a fine pice of software effectively lost. c.f. CT vs. TR.

5. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel somewhat inadequate that I don't build my own antennas or circuits from the many plans that appear every month in QST, ARRL publications, etc. Lack of time is part of the problem, but I also lack the experience. I hope to rectify this in the near future, and especially after retirement. There's a strong DIY aspect to the hobby. Like anything else, it just takes some experience, maybe an Elmer and growing familiarity.

One thing I at least do is run Debian Linux, compile alot of ham software, and occasionally study the source code. Linux is the cat's meow for the do it yourselfer, a natural fit for amateur radio. Manufacturers that haven't gone cross-platform or offer a Linux executable are losing my business, and probably that of a growing market share. The hackability of Linux is second to none.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

6. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Windows 8.1. The only thing that I had to fix with the lack of a start button. Classic Shell fixed that very nicely and windows works very well.

de NK2U

7. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Linux Mint 17.1 on the former gamer box with CAD stuff, heavy duty work
    Linux Mint 17.3 dual boot with Windows 10 1709 on the main carry laptop
    MX Linux 17.1 on the backup laptop with ham stuff, fldigi, etc.
    Windows XP SP3 on the lonesome (isolated) Dell lab PC with Office 2003, PHSNA, Rigol
    Raspbian Stretch on the Pi 3 B+ at the garage workbench
    Raspbian Stretch Lite on the Pi (1) B+ server
    Windows 10 1709 on the business tower
    Windows 10 1709 on the business laptop

Ted, KX4OM

8. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ubuntu 18.10 and it works very well. :)

9. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

Several workstations around. Most all are Fedora 29. The servers and back end stuff are CentOS and FreeBSD.

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't "use" my software. Rather, I usually get abused BY it.:( I went directly from XP to Windoze 10. It has NOT been an easy transition.

KK4NSF likes this.