ad: w3ff

What are you using now

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by JIMRUBEL, Nov 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
  1. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm digging in with win7pro in the shack just because it runs everything. It does everything I need. I keep an image of the drive in case the drive fails or something wrecks win7. I use linux mint (64 & 32) on the laptops. very stable. Does lots that win7 can but havent got my ICOM RS-BA1 to work in it yet, or some CAD programs that I use. Once I get these working in linux windoze will go
    Ham software does work - wsjt-x, fldigi, qsstv, gqrx and Andys ham linux, skywave, caelinux, gnu radio linux, etc

KK4NSF likes this.
  2. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

WIN 10 across the board. Only issues I have noticed (11 computers) is fingerprint swipe & bluetooth drivers.

Ed

W4RAV likes this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

MacOS High Sierra on this machine, which is my only Mac. Most machines here are Win10 with zero problems, some Raspberry Pi's as well. Ubuntu servers at work, with lots of WinSvr 2016 and Win10.

4. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Win10 (10.0.17134).
    Hate to admit it's the best OS I have ever used. The Flex SmartSDR seems to run very well on it.
    Jim, WQ2H

K4AGO and W4RAV like this.
  5. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

100% Debian Linux on modern PC's. Excellent performance + stability and I compile alot of packages from source (because I can, not because I have to).

73, KD0KZE / Paul

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I also run Windows 10 home, 64 bit, on my main laptop. I also have Windows 10 home, on two other PCs and XP on a computer in the shack. I only have XP on the system because it is too old, and won't take anything higher. But it works fine for what I need. I tried several versions of Linux on it, but that was a waste of time.

If you don't like the constant reminders, turn them off. I never get a reminder to upgrade my system. In fact, I have an upgrade that was downloaded about a week ago. When I get the time, I will reboot and install the update. That usually only takes about 10-15 minutes.

Early on, say 2 years ago, Windows 10 had some problems, but most of them have been worked out. I don't particularly have any issues with Windows 10, and I use my laptop every day, and I never log off. I only put it to sleep at night, and then wake it up in the morning. It's always right where I left off the day before. And, it doesn't remind me to update.

7. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Debian Buster on this machine and on the laptop now. It is also known as Testing which is the stage prior to it being released as the next Debian Stable. Things have been working quite well though some recent library update broke Audacity when I wanted to record some audio files. Grrrr. It happens. Hopefully this will get ironed out before the freeze in January (appropriate, huh?).

The nice thing is that there are many Linux distributions available as a "live" system that you can boot and use without installing them. Some will even save settings you make to a persistence file to a USB thumb drive (assuming you booted from CDROM) and reload those settings on the next boot. It's even more handy if the live system is installed on the same thumb drive.

KK4NSF likes this.
  8. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

My first round with windows 10 was bad. I had a cheap laptop with win 8 and hated it, so I took the free upgrade. It was slow, locked up often, was always trying to do updates that took forever and those updates often failed. I built a desktop around an AMD 4350 quad core processor with 8 gigs of ram. I later upgraded to 16 gig but could not tell the difference. Windows 10 has ran flawlessly on this machine. I had an issue with powersdr locking up and lagging. I thought the extra ram would fix it but the cure was changing the power plan to high performance. XP would run great on a lower end machine but I think you get what you pay for with windows 10.

9. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

My office / shack /lab runs mostly on Scientific Linux (FermiLab), but I've recently pulled a WIN7 machine out of mothballs to run SDRuno. At the moment I'm looking at modifying code on one of the Linux SDR packages to fit my specific needs. As soon as that's done, the WIN7 machine is going back in storage.

I don't have any problem with WIN7, it works great for folks who simply want to plug and play. I just like Linux better for writing /tweaking custom code for specific applications. As far as WIN10 goes, I don't use it at all.

10. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64/x86_64 - Distro: Debian 7.8 - CPU: 8 x Intel Xeon (3000.000 MHz) - Processes: 204 - Uptime: 7d 23h 5m - Users: 2 - Load Average: 0.53 - Memory Usage: 4024.61MB/32247.37MB (12.48%) - Disk Usage: 2053.54GB/3948.30GB (52.01%)