What are you OFs doing to get more yutes enlisted?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KL7AJ, Dec 18, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

...well, it was enough to get Jim to comment. @N2EY knows I'm kidding but some may not.
    I teach, mentor, elmer, loan equipment, VE and speak well of amateur radio at every opportunity.

Identifying the opportunity is however a bit of a trick. Most audiences could give a rat's ass about amateur radio. Those that will listen can not be bludgeoned with the details. I try to give enough information so that questions will be asked. I used to carry a Dj-C5T around just so I could say "mine is smaller and doesn't depend on a cellular carrier" . Then came the "glass phones" . Now I can call the home computer , CAT control (bluetooth), and talk to the world. As a trick it's okay but there are operational issues. Let's just say that the gadgets are still a bit smarter than me. A demonstration is worth a thousand words (unless it's a late night rag chew)

As a better late than never amateur I can easily identify with little no casual interest.
    When it comes to youngsters I regularly run out of Hi-Z headphones and Galena. I always keep an eye out for part 15 devices specializing in 49.860/27.125 .
    I still haven't found, devised, come up with a economical J-38 type to make the deal complete. I tried micro switches with a spring assist .

I feel that amateur radio could easily fade into (more) complete obscurity if not for the efforts of current licensees.

N2EY likes this.
  2. WA7ZAF

WA7ZAF Ham Member QRZ Page

This is exactly my approach. I was an active assistant scoutmaster with our local troop and I would bring my, at the time, only HF radio, a Kenwood TS-850 SAT with me to summer camp. Our troop would invite kids from other troops at camp to come to our campsite to get on the air. I began organizing a Jamboree on the Air event every October for this troop. I still do it, even though I'm no longer actively involved in Scouting. Every year, I've had scouts ask me how to get their license so this past year, I finally relented and told them to schedule a time that works for all of them who were interested and I would find a way to be there to teach a Technician class. I had two scouts commit, and they both passed their Tech. One of them went on and upgraded to General within a month.

The Tech is 13 byears old and I have not heard him on the air yet. He's had his ticket for over a month and I did give him a pre-programmed Baofeng when he passed his exam. The General is 17 and has been on the air frequently since his call sign hit the database. He was given a job at the scout summer camp so he will be gone for a few months. When he left, I gave him a power supply, my Kenwood 850, and a portable multiband HF antenna kit to take with him.

I was also asked this past year to do an amateur radio demo at a youth center on the Air Force Base here in Idaho. There were only a handful of kids who showed up and stayed for the whole thing. The ones who stayed were my fourth grade students from the elementary school on the base. Once they knew I was a licenced ham, they begged me to start an after school program for ham radio. I told them that if they could bring me a list of 10 signatures of interested students I would approach administration about starting a club. Our after school club had 26 members the first year. Because we started in April, I was not able to get any of them licensed.

I have invested many hours, several thousand dollars of my own cash, and a wealth of donated equipment into building our station, but we now have 2m and full HF capability. In the fall, we will be installing an Echolink node in the classroom. Since every student at this school comes from a military family, they are all interested in a means of communication that will allow them to keep in touch with their friends from all around the world. I'm doing what I can to help them see that there are ways that they can do just that.

Something about our HF reception is giving me fits though. I can tune through 20 and 40 in the classroom and hear nothing. I'll switch the radio off, get into my car in the parking lot 200 feet away, and hear S9+ signals all over the bands on my Yaesu FT857D. I guess that Echolink may become our best option for international comms.

MI0YLT and WN1MB like this.
  3. W4BUE

W4BUE Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty much on target.
    Over the past 25 or 30 years educators have down played hand on technical stuff where I live.
    Our club started out mentoring electronics and wireless communications in a high school broadcast radio class. We did that for almost 10 years.
    Then the school system dropped all technical requirements and eventually the class.
    We now mentor in an electronics class.

Last night at our BOD meeting we are going to share our resources with a club in another city and we hope to pick up one or two other classrooms.

For those students that get the electronics bug, we will help them by mentoring and getting them on the air at no cost.

In our area amateur radio is offering a positive hands on experience to young people that they may not find anywhere else.

For the most part our city - school resource of teachers don't exist for this type of education is non existent.

So here we are sharing our knowledge and skills with young folks.

We are also thankful to the Society of Broadcast Engineers Chapter 54 for their help.

We are mentoring the "MARS GENERATION"

73 God Bless

Rich W4BUE
    Founder K4AMG K4AMG .org

GROL

MI0YLT, KJ4VTH and WN1MB like this.
  4. MI0YLT

MI0YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

This might be a way of keeping or helping youngsters who make it to getting on air, it was for me.

When I first got my foundation licence and was very young I had huge pile ups several really big gun stations from around the world regularly helped me in the background.

I was only running 10 watts they moved stations on who setup on my frequencey also above and below me.

Basically they kept an area for me to have fun in as propagation changed.

Thank you guys

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    WE4B, AF7XT, KF5RRF and 1 other person like this.
  5. N7CPM

N7CPM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can tell you from personal experience that this is true. When I was 10, I used to do computer tutoring for elderly folks who were trying to learn the basics back in the late 1990s. One such person was my friend Bill K6QB (SK). After I'd help him with the computer, he would show me his shack and we'd get the on the air. I was fascinated by ham radio from that point on and never looked back. All it took was somebody willing to teach me and show me all about the hobby. This really is the best way to go about it. Great suggestion!

6. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Suggest you post this issue on a technical forum. It has my interest, but lacks key details. 73

7. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i have a ton of parts if a kid needs something,almost anything...

8. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I probably look at "recruiting" new hams a bit differently than most. If some one shows any interest, how ever the subject came up, I'm happy to tell them what you can do/enjoy about the hobby. I don't try to 'push' it. It really isn't the -ultimate- thing around (depends on what's interesting for people at that time), right?
    This is also not the cheapest hobby around! That can make a big difference too. But, who says you have to have the "best" stuff to start with? I didn't start driving a Lamborghini when I got a driver's license, did you?
    If they want to know about the hobby I'll sure tell them!

9. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently witnessed an incredibly effective demonstration of Morse Code to grade schoolers. Two Morse-proficient amateurs visited a science class and kids were asked to volunteer in pairs with the demonstration.

The amateurs were on opposite sides of the classroom with practice oscillators and each had one volunteer student with them. One student would come up with a short message for the other student and whisper it to the op. The message was then sent using the oscillator so everyone in the classroom could hear it, and when done, the receiving op would quietly tell the other student who would then repeat it out loud to the class. A participation based demonstration!

The students were astonished by this "magic code" and wanted to know how they could do it also. Since simple sounds were used, the amateurs demonstrated how it could be done by just saying "dit" and "dah" with another message. Nothing but your voice would be needed! A sheet listing all the letters and numbers were handed out to each student, and after that, they were all ditting and dahhing each other. Quite a sight.

Admittedly, this wasn't amateur radio, but these kids got hooked on something they could both relate to and use whenever they wanted. A success, I'd say.