What are you OFs doing to get more yutes enlisted?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KL7AJ, Dec 18, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a strong believer that kids, yutes, or anyone else, is only going to become interested in amateur radio if *they* find it to be either compelling or useful. A common mistake is to assume that because we think it's the bees knees, everyone else should too.

Not going to happen...

We say how cool it is to talk to people all over the world and yet kids would argue they can do that with their iPhones. And worse, those voices *we* use as an example are all old, at least by yute standards.

My suggestion is to not make amateur radio the goal, but instead, pitch the idea of learning CW.

Huh???

Yes, it's a way they can privately talk to their friends in code that only those who "get it" can understand. And for kids whose minds are in the learn mode, code can come easily and it can be sent by voice, by tapping a finger, by typing .-.. . - - . .-. ... or even with a code key like the old people use.

Now there's a reason *and* like-minded friends to "QSO" with.

After that, the idea of talking with friends in code over distances with a QRP rig and a license becomes much more appealing.

Btw, there are QRP 40M kits that sell for less than $5 on eBay. What a great parent/child project (or maybe they can build it on their own!) :)

The bottom line is that our reasons don't mean anything, but find something that a kid and his/her friends find useful and it's off the leash after that...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  2. KI4ITI

KI4ITI Ham Member QRZ Page

My suggestions, for what they're worth:

Quit trying to convince young people that Amateur Radio is cool or somehow relevant to their interests. It isn't. Young people get into Amateur Radio one of two ways:

1. They already love radio, or something closely related (DIY electronics, disaster prep, etc)

2. They love somebody who loves radio
    The best things you can do to get more young people into the hobby are to be sincerely, publicly passionate about your Amateur Radio activities, and to open yourself up to developing real friendships and mentoring relationships with young people. The first thing will draw in kids in category #1, and the second thing will create kids in category #2.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

All of the Utes here were moved out of the valley about 1884, none left for ham radio.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. W8NGA

W8NGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps QST should publish an article on building a interface for playing your X-Box game over the air using FT-8.

5. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

We (or rather Santa) gave our 8-year-old son a set of electronics tools including a soldering iron & multimeter for Christmas, as well as an FM radio kit. I've taught him how to solder components onto the board, and we're about halfway through. He also got a snap-together circuit kit for his birthday. I'm hopeful that this fosters an interest in electronics and radio, and hope he becomes a ham some day.

W8NGA and N1BCG like this.
  6. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

Giving new people a hand up is good,doing the heavy lifting by trying to get them to understand concepts they lack the will to learn on their own only makes them weak and annoying.One only gets out of any activity what one is willing to put into it.So at the banquet table of knowledge the New Extra's wish to feast,yet no ones lit the fire at their feet's.

7. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I went to the local Boy and Girl Scouts and offered a demo of Amateur Radio. Turns out they can either get a badge or points for a badge. It has really worked out well and I coordinate both groups to come at the same time once a year. I have been doing it for around 5 years now and usually have 4 or 5 interested that ask to come back and do. I also try and get those interested to visit on a weekend when I am operating a contest and this is always a big hit. Of the 4 or 5 usually 2 or 3 go on to get their ticket, in 2017 3 got their ticket. I hook them up with a club that has classes and I tutor them through the process giving them on air experience in my shack as well as teaching them why the multiple choice question is correct not just memorizing the correct answer to the question which seems to be SOP today. The operating really keeps them interested while teaching good and proper operating procedures on both HF & VHF but I REALLY push HF and weak signal VHF over repeater operation. I also push CW and most have learned and operate CW on a regular basis or digital modes on HF rather then use 2 meter repeaters.

KJ4VTH and N1BCG like this.