What are some ways you could temporarily affix an antenna to a small aircraft?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC0BUS, Jun 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is a NDB ADF long wire antenna which I use on HF. There might be an inline loading coil at the base of the antenna, if so you simply remove and hook the RG58 directly to it.
    I use a remote antenna tuner as close as possible at that point.
    20190616_200519.jpg
    Nothing's installed permanently on the airframe or panel, the antennas are already on the airplane or installed properly as required by the FAA and are approved aircraft antennas.
    The best thing if you're renting aircraft is to use a tape on the inside window wire antenna. Keep it as far away from you and passengers, remember RF exposure safety. But you're probably only using a hand-held and push-to-talk Transmissions which are short. Remember using any unapproved transmitter in the aircraft in instrument conditions may not be approved, and interfere with on board instrumentation and your safety.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    AK5B, KC8VWM and N0TZU like this.
  2. K0UO

Using a remote head radio you can also use a temporary yoke mount.
    20190616_204241.jpg

AK5B, KC8VWM and N0TZU like this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

May or may not be related to this thread but nevertheless, I thought this information was interesting.

[​IMG]

WB5YUZ, AK5B, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  4. W0KDT

W0KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

also not FAA legal.

K0UO likes this.
  5. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Charles, great info above but where's that wire that you pull that plane out of its hangar with your teeth? I would think they could have at least included a "VWM tow wire attachment point" or something like that in the otherwise detailed diagram; perhaps it was made before you moved on from trucks to planes.

While many of us know it doesn't take much to pull something that big and heavy once it starts rolling, I am still impressed (I have a bit of trouble just chewing a steak, let alone...)

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, this was usually a 500 KHz antenna. HF antennas on aircraft from the early '30s through the end of the war usually ran from a mast near the cabin to the rear stabilizers, as on this Avenger:

[​IMG]
    These were usually intended for line of sight communications with air traffic controllers; airport tower communications still used HF in the '30s/'40s. Ionospheric communication was not the goal and was usually seen as a hindrance. Longer-range communications were usually held on or near 500 KHz, using one of the long antennas you describe. Emergency communications were routinely held on 500 KHz.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    KK0L, AK5B and KC8VWM like this.
  7. KK0L

KK0L Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not use your train track antenna? :)
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/using-train-tracks-as-an-antenna.488402/

If you being serious about an aircraft antenna you should elaborate with more details so that others could offer better feedback. For example do you have access to an aircraft? How are you planning to mount or install and power the radio? Also what is the specific radio model as that could allow others to give feedback.

K0UO and WJ4U like this.
  8. K0UO

I agree with your post, if he's really serious there's some real experience on this site that can help him, but we need details and we don't need our time wasted!

9. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

One other comment about running two meters using a HT inside a private airplane:

The windows in both my aircraft are less than 0.5wl (~40") across, meaning that a 2m wave will not pass through the window un-attenuated. You will find the range on 2m is poor compared to having an antenna on the outside of the fuselage. You do relatively better with an HT inside the cabin on 440MHz.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    WB5YUZ likes this.
  10. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Scott Fike KC0BUS, has asked more than 1,000 questions on here the past 15 years. Most are open-ended, vague like this one, and he rarely shows any sign of making use of the information. One thread he initiated appeared to be a topic he could be planning to write a book about. Thus, with all the responses he's got to all his questions, we could be helping write such a book for him, the theory goes !!!

K0UO and AK5B like this.