What are some ways you could temporarily affix an antenna to a small aircraft?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC0BUS, Jun 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL7KN

KL7KN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't.

Only because if something went wrong, guess who will be the first to suffer - if you live, that is....

K0UO likes this.
  2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Brilliant, Mike---and probably a real-world solution that might be able to forego any/much red tape in getting approval. I was going to suggest super glue, but...

3. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope. Very bad advice.

Those inspection plates are seldom strong enough to support any weight, particularly since most are directly in the slipstream. They also are in that place for a reason, namely to allow inspection or servicing of moving parts, control cables, hinges etc. The last thing you want is for an antenna lead or connector or anything else, to snag or hang up a vital part. This isn't a shade tree Chevy mechanic endeavor.

Gravity will never forgive you. I promise.
    This is why I made post #4 above.

N0TZU and AK5B like this.
  4. KC0BUS

KC0BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

In an emergency, what the F.A.A. and F.C.C. bulletins have to say get thrown out the window.

5. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

AK5B likes this.
  6. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two meter antennas on both aircraft I own. Both installs are dutifully signed off by my AI, and have the requisite doubler plate riveted to the skin and ribs of the fuselage.

I find that the simplest 19" whip made out of stainless wire on an NMO low-profile mount is the best antenna. It bends back in the slipstream. However, it puts the least stress on the aircraft skin and structure.

On my '182, the whip is mounted on the belly aft of the MLG such that the tip almost drags on the ground. I use it with a Kenwood '710, both for APRS and Voice. It also works ok on 440Mhz, where the whip is 3/4 wavelengths long.

WB5YUZ, N0TZU, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  7. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I stand by my previous post that you see what the FAA requires and comply with it. However on multiple occasions I have used VHF and UHF public safety hand held radios in aircraft with great success either on surveillance or SAR missions. In many instances the flights were in single engine fixed wings like Cessna 172's. I flew in the right seat as an observer. A HT with a headset and using only the "rubber duck" antenna worked just fine both simplex and through repeaters on the missions we flew. Amazing coverage from altitude. These were not police agency aircraft and thus had only a VHF Air Band radio, not public safety radios.

As for the Huey. I flew a SAR mission in a National Guard Huey which, again, did not have a public safety radio. I rode in the cargo bay (tethered in a jump seat next to the open cargo bay. Again I used a HT with headset AND a quarterwave mag mount affixed to the metal floor of the helicopter inside the cargo bay but near the opening. Worked great.

My point? You may find that an external antenna is not all that necessary nor worth the cost of having the install professionally done to meet FAA requirements

AK5B and AG6QR like this.
  8. KJ4YEV

KJ4YEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WWII era military planes used a trailing longwire HF antenna that could be reeled in when the plane landed.

9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

20190616_195128.jpg 20190616_195128.jpg 20190616_195107.jpg Just tape an wire antenna to the window I've done it many many times.
    As mentioned before any perimeter the antenna would have to be approved.
    I have had many aircraft VHF antennas installed and cut them down to use on to ham bands.
    If you're lucky and find an unused one that will work okay in vhf and might even surprise you on 440 without being cut, if you're renting an airplane.
    I use a quarter wave antenna for 2m and it loads just fine on 440, it's setting at a 45 degree under the belly of both of my airplanes. I have used this type of install dozens of times over the years.
    When you decide to get on HF just use the old NDB ADF long wire and cut out the loading coil and use an automatic tuner it's already installed!

20190616_195107.jpg

It's 18 inch wire on the on the underside of the flame that I'm pointing at. I also use it for 2 m in 432sideband.
    I'm running an Icom 7000 which is "velcroed" to the airplane, nothing is permanent.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    AH7I, AK5B, KC8VWM and 1 other person like this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

20190616_195229.jpg
    IC7000. HF VHF UHF
    It's velcroed, "not permanently mounted" no paperwork required, otherwise you'll have to file a form 337.
    Which I actually did on my pressurized aircraft but it was a paperwork Fiasco.

AK5B, KC8VWM and N0TZU like this.