What are some of your favorite stores, now closed,defunct, gone?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by K6DWI, Jul 14, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N3IOE

N3IOE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The slide rails soda machine brings back memories. There was a guy in our gang, no it wasn't me, that got a bottle opener, popped the soda cap off, and with a super long straw, put his head down, and enjoyed a cold, free soda. This lasted a couple of months until the owner got a upright coke machine. The bottle opener, straw episode was over. We moved on to other mischief.

W5BIB and KA0USE like this.
  2. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

is he still in prison?

3. N3IOE

N3IOE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Statute of limitations kicked in.
    Crime does pay.

4. N9LCD

N9LCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Marshall Fields. Bought by British-American Tobacco(?). Sold to Target& operated under the Fields name. Sold to Macys and now branded Macys. BARF!!!

E J Korvette's: National middle market department store chain circa late 50's early 60's. Went bankrupt. Apparently operated on the basis that if you bought enough hammers for $1.00 and sold them for 90 cents, you'd sooner or later break even. Yeah!

Zayre: National chain of discount department stores. Early version of WalMart. Went bankrupt after acquiring a competitor.

Steinberg-Baum: Chicago area chain of small deep discount outlets. You went there for the specials, nothing else. Ran out of $$$.

Shopper's World: Another Chicago area chain of deep discount outlets. You went there for the specials, nothing else. Out of business.

5. N7VGO

N7VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

How bout Mervyn's and their classy "Open, Open, Open" commercials.

WF7A likes this.
  6. W3TKB

W3TKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Coming late to the party...sorry.

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest. There was a chain store called "G.I. Joe's", a one-stop shop for all things sports and automotive. They actually started out as a military surplus store, but grew into a chain of stores that almost always had what you needed. Not quite as extensive as a Cabela's, but better than Dick's for sure. Plus auto, marine, and RV supplies. If someone said "I got it at Joe's" you instantly knew what that meant. They also had Ticket Master kiosks in the stores, back in the day when tickets were printed out beforehand and doled out to each location. I spent MANY nights standing in line outside a Joe's waiting to buy concert tickets. So much more fun than going online and having some computer algorithm pick them for you!

Brando

7. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

That's just somebody who bought the name at a bankruptcy sale. It has no other connection to the original company.

My family had a love-hate relationship with Wards. We consistently bought things there, but we usually had to fight with them because it didn't work. My dad bought his underwear from Wards for one reason: He wanted to make sure he got the catalog, and that required occasional purchases. Since he needed to buy underwear anyway, he ordered it from them to make sure he got the catalog.

We had their distribution center a few miles from our house. But we lived in Minneapolis, and it was in St. Paul, so it was kind of like a foreign country. When we needed arcane items (such as trailer tires, IIRC), my dad would order them, and we could pick them up the same day at their warehouse. So that was always an exciting excursion to a distant place.

The other one, of course, was Sears. We didn't have one of those close to our house, so we didn't go there often, but they are almost gone now. But a couple of years ago, we needed a new drier, and then stove. We looked online, and the Sears Kenmore appliances at their website looked like the best for our needs, and their website still existed. And lo and behold, they still have stores in smaller towns, and we preferred to actually look at it first in a bricks and mortar store. So we drove about 40 miles to the closest store, which was well stocked with appliances, tools, lawn and garden equipment, etc. We placed the order there, and it was delivered by a generic delivery truck.

8. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Our current lawnmower is from Monkey Wards, which we bought used. Despite constant abuse, such as leaving fuel in it over the winter, it always starts on the first pull.

9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never been in there, but there is a Tandy Leather store not far from me in Roseville, MN.

KG4RRH likes this.
  10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

A few years ago, we had a prescription filled there. They do, indeed, have a pharmacy, but it's actually not in public view. You drop it off at the front counter, and pick it up there a little while later. They asked if we needed to talk to the pharmacist, and they sounded kind of relieved when we said it wasn't necessary. It's definitely a small part of their business.

AD5HR likes this.