ad: hrd-2

What are some of your favorite stores, now closed,defunct, gone?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by K6DWI, Jul 14, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Best Products sounds like Consumer Distributing, catalog and warehouse store. I vaguely remember a couple other similar operations around the early 80s...

2. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

denver had a big boy restaurant at 14th ave and broadway.
    it was more expensive than non-chain diners, so it struggled.
    gone, gone.
    there were variations of it- frisch's, shoney's....

denver had a d. boone's drive-in, rocky-bilt hamburgers, and grandpa's burgers (home of the
    6" hamburger). it expanded from 1 on sheridan at ~6th avenue, one at 4th ave/chase in moun-
    tain view, to a third on sheridan ~70th avenue (re-named jim's burger haven, but in the same family), and one at ~88th avenue and grant in thornton.
    the first 2 are long gone.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  3. KD9LWW

KD9LWW Ham Member QRZ Page

Local small town from when I was a kid, Booms (don't know the real name if it had one, a drug store where we would get candy and comic books, and cold coke in a bottle from an old old machine. Masters barber shop, they used the hot towels before a shave, had a mounted sailfish, and a dog that got fed the rope handled candy suckers. Mackensons - fixed farm machinery, sold hardware and fireams and ammo. Pete's - a store that was just a mess of stuff all thrown together and you had to just try to find what you wanted somewhere in it. Bachman's a little local five and dime, dishes, glassware, decorative stuff, toys, candy, and baseball cards. The local bank - where my dad got a loan with a handshake to buy a car or a house and the papers would be ready later.

KA0USE and AD5HR like this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Never mind.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  5. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Caldor in Fishkill, NY; a multi-chain department store. It was liquidated in the late 1990s due to financial issues.
    upload_2021-9-6_6-22-20.png

6. KA0USE

photo processing kiosks in the parking lots of grocery stores and small malls.
    you drove up (in my case bicycled) up to it, handed over your unprocessed film and picked the prints up there, 2-3 days later. the fox 1 hour processing wasn't available in our area.

a young lady high school classmate worked at a fotomat close to my home. i liked her,
    but she had her sights set waaaaay above my pay grade.

upload_2021-9-16_13-10-37.jpeg upload_2021-9-16_13-11-29.jpeg

7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

what did Cinderella say after the 3rd time she checked at the Photomat?

"Someday, my prints will come!"

KG4RRH, KP4SX and KA0USE like this.
  8. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No dad jokes allowed on da Zed...pretty sure I read that in the TOS somewhere. :)

Regards,
    -Bruce

K6CLS likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Its called "beating up on newbies" because they don't know what we are talking about :)

10. KA0USE

i remember those soda machines! had a kinda musty scent, maybe from the zinc lining? put your
    money in, slide the bottle along the rails and pull it through a gate that was locked until the money
    was in.

back in '55 my family was en route to formosa by troopship. we stayed in a motel in oakland for a
    couple of days. the morning we left we saw a kid with his arm stuck inside a vertical coke machine
    that dropped a bottle when you turned a lever after paying.
    there were a lot of people gathered around, laughing...and a cop. his parents looked mortified.

today's parents would be angry that he was caught stealing and would sue the motel, coca-cola, the
    police, etc.

loved the hot towels- opened my sinuses.