ad: elecraft

What are Radio Waves? Breaking it down.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AC3DS, Jan 16, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AC3DS

AC3DS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just because we all use them, doesn't mean we all understand them; Radio waves are a fundamental part of physics, yet it can be difficult to grasp exactly what they are. This video is an attempt at an introduction to conceptualizing radio waves.

**Please note, we recognize that this video is a simplification and omits complexities and the mathematical treatment which the topic deserves. We may do future videos for those!

W4QBQ, AC3G, AA5BK and 22 others like this.
  2. KE1RC

KE1RC Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice, a succinct and to the point explanation of the EM wave.
    It’s fascinating how the self-propagating EM wave travels, and that its
    everywhere around us.
    Voyager-1 is now way outside our solar system and still the 2.1 GHz signal
    maintains integrity for daily communications.

M1WML and NU4R like this.
  3. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have earned an amateur radio license, then surely you have at least a basic working knowledge of the physics of radio??

AA5BK, M1WML, KI5KT and 2 others like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a nice physics video.

The analogy of a field to a water cube is a bit confusing: some may interpret that as EM waves need an 'ether' as a medium (and of course that's not the case.)

Also, taking on wave/particle duality is quite a lot to absorb. Stick with the waves, which is the title of the video anyway.

For those who are interested in taking on intro physics videos, there are many : some, good, some not so good. Walter Lewin's videos are considered by many to be the best.

These are my thoughts, based on teaching intro EM courses for many years at the college level. Note that I have not and am not making Zed editorial decisions, just providing helpful feedback.

Your opinion may differ.

Chip W1YW

M1WML, NU4R and AA3AE like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML and K0UO like this.
  6. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

Or, memorized a bunch of answers.

AG6QR, W2KS, KF7WIS and 5 others like this.
  7. W3QJ

W3QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Job, how about more with 102

M1WML likes this.
  8. AC3DS

I know that for me, in some fields and topics, a working knowledge has not always equated to deeper understanding, or the ability to conceptualize. I've been able to use the formulas and solve the problems, but moving beyond prediction/computation to understanding can be tricky. Our hobby has a very diverse range of expertise levels and interests, so I put content together hoping that it may find an audience that it will assist. If nothing else, thinking about fundamental physics and considering what it is and how it works is not a bad way to spend a few minutes. :)

N7XCZ, W7GSR, VE3BXG and 5 others like this.
  9. AC3DS

Definitely going to do some 102! Just laying the foundation.

M1WML likes this.
  10. W0CMW

W0CMW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great information . especially for the new HAM and even us old buzzards

M1WML, NU4R, WB8ROI and 1 other person like this.
  11. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

a lot depends on a persons ability to visualize without the aid of a computer or graphic /pictorial representation.
    for instance training in writing a plc/slc program has a specific structure once you learn how to write one you can observe an automated machine in operation and you can see the program in your mind.
    it takes a little training for most people but there are a few that just cant see it without running a computer or looking at a printout.

looking at a radiation pattern for example! even after just a few samples viewed of the various styles, you can get a fairly close idea just by looking at an antenna ( maybe not exact but close enough to understand how it will react in its environment and what will affect it).
    it was a decent video but could have shown what the waves do striking an antenna vs reflecting off an object.

M1WML and W1YW like this.
  12. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with that, and most of the old Buzzard's couldn't explain it anyway .... .. HI

M1WML and AC3DS like this.
  13. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got the benefit of being an electrician and a lot of the training in transformer and motor/ generator theory comes into play with both emissions and induction.
    My training started in the navy and continued on through my apprenticeship.
    The electronic part through college courses.
    But I highly recommend anyone who wants to be a amateur radio operator that they should get good textbooks on basic electricity and electronics.

Understanding how semiconductor work is a great help, but electronic engineering semiconductor is highly dependant on mathematics skills

M1WML, WA4KCN and W1YW like this.
  14. WB9QLR

WB9QLR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have always liked Einstein's explanation of radio:

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

M1WML, AC0ZJ, AC3DS and 1 other person like this.
  15. KG8ZQ

KG8ZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great comment! (Some would say there is a cat. It belongs to a guy named Schrodinger. We just can't see it.)
    Jerry KG8ZQ

PY2NEA, M1WML and AC3DS like this.