Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by WA6MHZ, Jul 31, 2017.
Who said anything about putting them in any jar.
Throw the damned thing out the window.
The pickle/mayonnaise jar is the wive's tale. I've heard it many times.
I can't throw my feedlines out the window... they pass through a tube in the wall, from the ground bus that NEC requires:
(click for yuuge image)
I do hope that is good enough .
Not for Pat! I would buy it LMAO save me a bundle on power supply and a cabinet!
Yup Sue, I use polyphasers on all antenna and rotor lines(they make a data line suppressor that works for the rotor), my ground system has 8 rods driven 8' deep spaced 16' apart and all of it is bonded with 2/0 copper. Power to the house has a surge suppressor on the breaker box and all electronics have their own surge strip on top of it. I also built DC suppressors that plug into the back of the radio then the power wires plug into that. The suppressor is tied to the ground bus that runs across the back of my desk then that is tied to the single point ground rod system. I have taken near misses as close as 50 feet and no damage. Running solar I have an 80 foot DC run from the panels to the house, sure it is buried 18" but it can build one heck of a spike during a lightning hit. The radio surge suppressors keep that knocked don if it makes it past the suppressors on the solar panel DC line. Better safe than sorry!
SB220/1 cabinets are cheap (I paid not very much for a pristine SB-220/1 cabinet).
The cost isn't the ONLY important factor. The PS isn't worth much 'cuz it's not much. The weak spot is the transformer... capable of not much more than about 600VA. Considering typical Class AB2 efficiency (55-65%), that's not nearly enough to support full legal limit. About ≥ 2.5KVA is more like it.
At the annual ham flea market here, someone wanted $150 for a SB-220/1 HV xfmr. I'm glad he wouldn't bite on my $100 offer. Instead, I rewound a free salvaged transformer (from a piece of medical equipment) for about $100 in materials:
(click for bigly images)
The split bobbin meant leakage is minimal, and I didn't have to unwind the primary. Using a fullwave doubler rectifier, four taps will provide 3330 to 4075 VDC at up to about 1.5A. For about the same cost as a wimpy SB220/1 transformer, I wound up with a MUCH better transformer. And it was fun to rewind.
There's MUCH more than that. The tower uses four rods, connected using 2/0 that is exothermically welded. Both systems are bonded together and to the electrical service entrance ground, per my PE's drawings and NEC requirements. I've since added over 1000' of radials, bonded to the tower ground. More to come.
I was going to stay out of this thread but I was dragged into it when someone mentioned Lou W1QJ in a post. All I will say on this thread is that this amp is a one day job to get up and running at my shop.
I take it you have tune caps to replace the one that was fried.