What am I seeing?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KZ8MAX, Oct 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Close. Walmart sells junk too. :rolleyes:

Good Luck.

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And batteries removed!

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just so you know, legally those cheap noisy devices don’t meet regulations and aren’t supposed be imported or sold. As a practical matter, the FCC and most other regulators around the world have turned a blind eye for the last 30 years. So while you can make a complaint to the FCC and to the manufacturer (if you can find them) don’t expect anything to happen.

Read up on RFI sleuthing techniques and remedies and apply them. You’ll need to go on an RFI hunt expedition on occasion.

Be aware that your neighbors have no idea their devices can cause problems and that they shouldn’t, so be extremely diplomatic about it if you need to approach them. From their view, everything was fine and now you have a problem with their stuff. I’ve gone so far as to buy a quiet substitute device for a neighbor.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

TRUE "wall warts" are just a transformer, a diode, and MAYBE a capacitor. They don't cause interference, but many new consumer electronics (laptops chargers/supplies, microwave ovens, VDR's, etc.) now use switching supplies, which may or may not be replaceable. Their lower cost and weight reduction is all the manufacturers care about.:(:mad:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  5. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe "back in the day". Not anymore. Not for a long time. I have a drawer full of mini-switcher 5V wall warts for everything from cellphones to tablets to backup batteries to fans. Because they are much more efficient with nearly zero idle current, mini-switchers are the only legal wall-warts in some countries. It's not just about cost. But they CAN be noisy.

Brian - K6BRN