What am I not understanding about propagation...

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by VE3BXG, Sep 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Propagation and weather predictions have "indicators of performance" future and current. Bottomline, if I go outside and get wet its raining and if I turn the radio on and hear Europe, propagation is good. :)

2. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've made some surprising contacts with poor antennas and poor propagation, all it takes is putting rf into the air. The only real guarantee in not making contacts is not turning the radio on.

W7DCM likes this.
  3. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

4. VE3BXG

VE3BXG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WW2PT likes this.
  5. YF8RQN

YF8RQN Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks for your share, 73

6. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

While there is a ton of science behind propagation, there is still seems to be 'magic' to it all. There are some things you can count on.. but then plenty of things happen with propagation which still amazes me.

7. VK3KTT

VK3KTT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

one of the things that amazes me being a high band operator is how the 10m and 6m open around a certain date most years for long distance prop ie vk to nsa on 6m around the start of the year. or how from hear in vksouth afria comes in around march april and brazil other times. thats why keep ing a log is very handy.

8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is an element of HF propagation that is truly unpredictable.

To put it simply:

There are times when a modest station will work the world easily.

There are times when most elaborate stations can't get out of their own back yards.

Most of the times are somewhere between those two extremes.

73 de Jim, N2EY

W9CQG, N1NA, KB2FCV and 1 other person like this.
  9. WL7CG

WL7CG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. W9CQG

W9CQG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had the same experience from my QTH in Canada ( Mississauga /GTA) ...there have been some interesting openings and I have worked some pretty cool DX last month. Most days are lousy...but then again you get a window where things open up. Even 15 meters was hopping last week one day. 73 and just pray for more sun spots.