What am I hearing?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WQ4G, Aug 2, 2020 at 4:45 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I figure the Moderator will move it if he/she deems it necessary...

Got a new toy (an RSP1A) and have been trolling around the spectrum listening. I ran across what appears to be a station on 1.904 Mhz (+/- a few Hz) although it's signal is EXTREMELY weak as in 'faint signals - barely perceptible.' I think I can hear Country Music, but it's way down in the noise floor and I can't really be sure. Oh, and it seems to be on Lower Side Band...

I have done a google search for 'stations on 1.904 Mhz' and also for 'AM Broadcast Band Frequencies,' but it appears that the U.S. AM Broadcast band ends at 1.700 Mhz and there is no information about a Broadcaster on that frequency.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out what it is I am hearing. Could this be a harmonic of an AM Broadcast transmitter? A station from another 'region?'

?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Tnx

Dan WQ4G

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the ghost of Hank Sr.?

W5TTW likes this.
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Go to 950 on your AM dial and see if you hear it.

WA1GXC, W9RAC, KA0HCP and 1 other person like this.
  4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't hear any beat note from the carrier at all?

KF0AKJ likes this.
  5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Try also 630-ish ... or 640 ... a little off, but who knows?

WA1GXC, W9RAC and KA4DPO like this.
  6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good call, didn't think about third harmonic. Let us know if you hear anything Dan.

7. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

Are those direct conversion or heterodyne receivers? Could be an image frequency?

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Should be an SDR that isn't heterodyne type.

But they're pretty sensitive (maybe too much, sometimes) and a strong station can overload them. I suspect either a harmonic of a BC station or a mixing product where the mixing is done outside of the receiver itself. Just two dissimilar metals touching each other, or a rusty spot on anything nearby is a potential mixer if at least one signal is very strong.

WQ4G, W4NNF and KA0HCP like this.
  9. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, there is a beat note.... But, in AM mode I can not discern if anything is there or not. I did a little more listening and I can also hear it on Upper Side Band.

Thanks

Dan WQ4g

10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably to weak then to be able to zero beat the carrier in order to determine the frequency more precisely then... but do tune around on the AM band and see if you can hear something near 1/2 or 1/3 of the 1900-ish that you're hearing the signal.