ad: w3ff

What am I??? E-17 Aircraft Radio Corp. navigation rack...

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W1BR, Feb 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WHAT package fits in the side with the dual ATA chassis fittings??? I'd like to find that box for a project. This probably dates from 1950 era. I suspect it is for some sort of navigation converter? But, I'd like some model numbers to be able to do some further research... for a Q-5er package setup. E-17 rack was for 14VDC gear.

Pete E-17 Navigation Rack.jpg

2. W1BR

AN/ARN-30A, AN/ARN-30B, and AN/ARN-30C

B-13 navigation converter fit the slot... bingo!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    KD2ACO likes this.
  3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Why is the bench it's on so clean?

KJ4VTH likes this.
  4. W1BR

That is the boat anchor operating desk.

5. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm just joking with you. That desk is fabulous...

It will be interesting to see what you do with the frame. :)

6. W1BR

Finally getting enough feedback to find out what and where it was used. One ham was able to find a junker navigation converter in a hanger and passed it along.
    It will be gutted, and used for a foundation for a Q5-er converter for the R-23/ARC-5, hopefully to cover 160, 80, 40 and 30 Meters. Also thinking of adding a
    third IF for the 85 kHz IF to get a bit more selectivity, S Meter, RF and AF gain controls, Product Detector and whatever else fits. Unfortunately, someone
    added an octal tube socket where the dynamotor connector was located on the R-23; I'll use that to bring signals and AGC, etc. busses in and out.

AN-30 nav.jpg