What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by VE3TMT, Mar 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So built my satellite antenna over the weekend, 8 el on 70cm and 4 el on 2m

IMG_20210228_102416_9.jpg

Didn't hear the ISS repeater during the morning pass, then heard nothing from AO-91. Heard lots of stations on the SO-50 pass but didn't make a single contact. I'm using a Wouxun KG-UV8E for the radio and with SO-50, I am not using full duplex, to avoid de sensing the downlink. I think I will change this, because using this method I have no idea if I'm even making it to the bird.

I know the antenna is working as I am able to hit repeaters about 60 miles out standing in my yard. Moving the antenna around shows definite front to back and side to side.

I figured I should of at least made a contact on SO-50.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Max
    VE3TMT

2. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

VE4MM likes this.
  3. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Were you transmitting a tone when you tried to use SO-50?

4. VE3TMT

Yes 67 Hz

5. VE3TMT

So PO-101 just went overhead and I did manage to make a few contacts. Still have to work out the recording part, had the headset on so wasn't able to record or write the calls down. Still trying to determine if the antenna works, which I guess it does. Now PO-101 has UHF up-link, whereas SO-50 is VHF. Hope that is not part of the problem. If you just worked me on the PO-101 pass, I'd love to hear from you!

Max
    VE3TMT

N6MST likes this.
  6. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can work PO-101 you should have no issues with SO-50. Neither of them are easy as AO-91/92 were. Just keep trying and I’m sure you’ll be successful.

VE4MM likes this.
  7. VE3TMT

When working PO-101 I couldn't hear myself on the D/L but was making contacts.

Max

WE4B and WD9EWK like this.
  8. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

It is very poor practice to transmit when you cannot hear your signal in the d/l as you have no way of knowing if you are jamming users who can hear their own d/l

In the commercial satellite biz you would be fired on the spot.

Rege, ex INTELSAT international earth station tech, and FLEETSATCOM shipboard tech, and on again, off again hamsat user since RS5

9. VE3TMT

And I have no way of knowing I can't hear myself on the DL if I don't transmit on the uplink now do I. And I was making contacts just like all the others.

K3RLD likes this.
  10. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

You're making good progress if reception is working. Are you twisting the antenna (rotating about the axis of the boom) to match antenna polarity with the downlink's for best reception? I can take downlinks from reasonably strong to down in the noise by mismatching the polarization. Some ops will do a 90 degree twist when transmitting to align the uplink band's antenna in place of the downlink band; I usually optimize for downlink unless I think I really need it on uplink (which of course kills my downlink reception while transmitting). YMMV.