What am I doing wrong! IC-718 and MFJ 949E

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by kd7nmn, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Addressing the original question for just a moment. I went to the MFJ site and looked at the manual, which includes the schematic. I see that the meter IS a "peak - average " device, and uses an active device ( transistor ) to drive the meter circuitry.

If the original poster did not have the proper power supply voltage hooked up to the meter, it definately would NOT give any indication no matter how much RF was fed into the circuit.

Simple answer ? [​IMG] That may be all that was wrong ( outside of the original poster not knowing enough about SWR meters to figure that out ! )

73, Jim

2. K3STX

K3STX Ham Member QRZ Page

The original poster never stated that it was a 2 meter J-pole. If it was, he had better hope that rig dropped to power to basically nothing for all his testing.

paul

3. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I believe this advice was wrong. And this is probably what caused the long, drawn out diatribe against the original poster. The schematic clearly shows that the transistor amplifier MUST be powered to drive the meter circuitry. This is in both the "average" and "peak" modes, if I am reading the schematic correctly.

Please be sure that the advice you are offering is correct, or at least if you are not sure, say so . There are not too many things worse in this world besides being wrong and being adament about your information, no matter how incorrect it is!

4. kd7nmn

kd7nmn QRZ Member

Wow, almost 3 pages of insults because of a typo. Now I know why the hobby of Amateur Radio hasn't really caught on with the younger generation. No buddy wants to deal with a bunch of grumpy old men. By the way, what kind of antennas will a nursing home let you put up? [​IMG]

What I meant was Dipole not J pole. I took the setup to another Hams house and we found that the tuner was defective.

BTW, it was fun watching you all stumble all over each other trying to prove just how big of a genius you are.

5. kd7nmn

kd7nmn QRZ Member

That is correct.

6. kd7nmn

kd7nmn QRZ Member

Not a joke but a simple error. Why would I be ashamed that I wrote J Pole instead of Dipole? I have a bunch of different projects going through my head right now. Sometimes the fingers do what they want on the keyboard [​IMG]

If someone in the beginning would have asked for more clarification, instead of a bunch of brain warriors jumping into a discussion on how intelligent they are, we wouldn't have 3 pages of insults on intelligence of todays new HAMS. Way to be an ambassador of hobby guys!

7. K3STX

HEY! I'm only 44 years old!!

That was not a typo, it was a brain-fart. And one of the bigger ones I have read, by the way.

You'll find here on QRZ.com that when you ask a question, usually there is SOME answer within an hour or so. It might be good to check back on the status of your question next time.

Yes, we are a bunch of angry, grumpy OTs because there are Hams out there who really DO try to use a 2 meter J-pole on 80 meters and then cry for help when their rig is on fire.

You did nothing wrong by asking a question, but to be honest in true Ham spirit it might have been a good idea to REMOVE the tuner from the equation, confirm your antenna was OK, and then check out the tuner (either by replacement with another or testing your own with your known good, resonant antenna) BEFORE asking a question. I think that advice, the experimentation and taking notes approach, will really help you out in the long run.

Good luck with your rig, it is nice little one.

paul

8. N4AUD

N4AUD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two 949, an E and a C model. Neither require any power to work. The only connection for power is for the lamp that lights the meter. Sure you didn't look at the wrong model?

9. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If YOU would have clarified yourself (& corrected your typo) after seeing the first few postings by others, things would not have spun out of control.

Tom kcØw

10. K3STX

Give me a break! The antenna issue was clarified exactly 30 minutes after you started the topic!!

If you had checked the see what was going on during the intervening days after you started the topic "we wouldn't have 3 pages of insults on intelligence of todays new HAMS." People were responding to YOUR call for help.

Don't put this on us!

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.