What am I doing wrong! IC-718 and MFJ 949E

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by kd7nmn, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, am I right or am I wrong?

2. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

They've been memorizing the answers since about 1982.

Code's got nothing to do with it. That's been the flaw in your arguments since day one.

3. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, you're wrong. [​IMG]

4. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

I wasn't just arguing the code.  I was doing a lot of arguing about the  Whole thing to make it to where the test isn't multipal choice, and put some more meat in the questions.

5. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

I suggest this thread return to helping the original poster. This multipost debate is pointless. I think we all have our opinions on it.

6. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Chris, I respectfully submit that this forum is NOT going to be able to give him all the help he needs. It has already been suggested that he obtain copies of the ARRL Handbook, various antenna handbooks, and any kind of theory and applications books he can get his hands on. That suggestion also applies to the many other new hams that find themselves in a similar situation.

Yes, I firmly believe that our education and examination system here in the U.S. is badly broken. This string, and many like it are solid evidence of how badly broken the system really is.

I have no idea why the FCC has allowed it to get to this state, but the consequences of the situation are resting squarely on the shoulders of that agency!

Now, short of helping the "newbies" to realize that they really don't know "squat" about the practical and theoretical aspects of amateur radio, I don't see that there is much we can do, unless they acknowledge their lack of knowledge and seek to do something about it themselves. If they will not crack the books and actually learn the ins and outs of the avocation, ( besides matching the answers to the questions in the pool, that is ) and seek out groups and individuals that will "Elmer" them on a personal basis, I sincerely believe that this avocation is doomed!

JMHO 73, Jim

7. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Chris, I don't think it would be possible to help someone with with such a below-rudimentary knowledge base, not on the internet. The only way would be to give him a course in basic electronics, whether right here on the forum, or in PMs or by email. This level of non-knowledge is not only disappointing, it is stunning. I truly do not know how this gentleman got a license, really. I don't mean that in a nasty way, but this question really has demonstrated very effectively where we stand in amateur radio licensing. I know the guy must be terribly embarrassed, and that's really unfortunate, but as I said, it isn't his fault. To be honest, I even wonder about the VE session, on this one.

This is below 1960s Novice level. How could we help him? We tell him to learn about antennas. But I think his knowledge is probably so lacking, he would not likely be able to understand it unless someone gets out there in the yard and paces off a meter and says "now, let's do 80 of those."

I'm sure, too, he is not the only one facing a nearly identical situation. He just happens to be the only one on QRZ. But I would bet there are other new hams out there trying to load a 2 meter antenna on 20 meters. We just don't hear about it. So his problem is indeed symptomatic of the system. And if it isn't addresses, as distasteful as it is to do so, it will get worse. It may get worse anyway, but we have to remember, when we see such things here on QRZ or on eHam, we are looking at possibly 2 out of 1,000 hams with similar difficulties. If one shows up here with zero knowledge, think how many must be out there who don't show up here, who have no place to turn, and get no help. They are pushed through a VE session and logged as a new number on the license rolls, and forgotten.

Something bad wrong in River City. If one shows up here, ther emust be many more who did not. And that is really frightening.

This gentleman will take it personally, and that, too, is sad. But he is a reminder of where we have descended to in amateur radio. It needs to be discussed, though I have no idea how to fix it, as long as the motto is "quantity versus quality." Maybe it isn't fixable. Maybe we should just toss up our hands and retreat to 40 meter CW and let the rest of the ham world die. I don't know the answer, but even if I did, I don't think I could convince anyone to do anything about it.

Ed

8. KC9GUZ

KC9GUZ QRZ Member

I think you guys scared the poor chap away.
    All i can say about the whole post is, wow...............

A 2 meter J pole on 80 meters? Uhh, no wonder he has problems! [​IMG]

9. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I don't only blame the system. I also blame the individual to some extent as well, Ed.

While it is true that, IMHO, the testing system in this country is horribly broken (has been for a very long time), there comes a point where it is up to the individual to accept some responsibility for their own education.

I got all kinds of encouragement to get into this hobby, but not a lot of actual help along the way, once I was in. I'm sure that's true for more than a few. But, when faced with situations I didn't understand, I started RTFM, or reading technical references (both in books and on the web) that gave me an understanding of what I was trying to do.

It just seems to me that today's ham (be they Tech, General, or even Extra now) doesn't want to learn. Telling them to RTFB (even in the nicest terms possible) is perceived as an insult to them.

"Why do you tell me to read the book? I don't have time for that! All I want is the answer! Why won't you help me? You're mean!", seems to be the common whiny lament.

I don't see why we should put up with it, nor do I see why I should absolve the person of all responsibility, either.

10. WB2UAQ

WB2UAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Make sure your IC-718 is transmitting CW or RTTY so that it is sending out a carrier. Without a carrier, the SWR indicators (on the tuner or in the rig) can not function.

Sorry if this is repeating an earlier reply but there were som many that I didn't have the patience to read thru them.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.