What am I doing wrong! IC-718 and MFJ 949E

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by kd7nmn, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. AE4FA

AE4FA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been following this thread waiting for they flames to begin. They haven't, and I applaud you all for that.

There have been a few negatively commenting about our licensing system. They seem spot-on to me.

Unfortunately, even club sponsored licensing classes are focussing on 'picking the right answer,' rather than actually understanding the underlying material.

It's time for local clubs to get back to the basics and do some real teaching. Ours offers monthly mini-seminar/workshops done separately from the regular business meetings. Each runs 2 to 3 hours. Attendance has been excellent, demonstrating a desire to learn.

While I, too, encourage reading the Handbook and Antenna book, we must realize that a lot of it is tough going for those with absolutely Ø background. Classes help overcome that deficit.

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

well SCOTT, i'm not going to comment about the other "issues" that have been raised.
    does the 949 tuner (you didn't say which model it was, and i don't know the features of every 949) have a built in dummy load? you can at least test the radio on the dl.
    read the tuner manual and follow the max power/time allowed to load it.

3. W4HAY

W4HAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto the suggestions for the ARRL Handbook or Antenna Book! As a matter of fact, I have an old Antenna Book you can have if you want it. Just say the word!

The 949 will feed power to just about any type of antenna, even a length of wire worked against a decent ground. Those books will give you a head-full of ideas for a radiator.

In the meantime, take the mic off the rig, unplug the key, stick a length of wire in the rig's antenna jack and do some listening around the bands to get a feel for what's going on.

BTW, did you really mean 80, which (historically) refers to the CW portion, or 75 Meters, which is the 'phone segment?

If you have the room, an 80 Meter ladder-line fed dipole coupled to the 949's balun can be made to take power on any band above 80. Likewise, a 40 meter antenna will work on everything above 40, etc.

Wyoming is not over-populated with hams, so you'll be sought after by those looking for their WAS.

4. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

I wasn't going to post here because I was sure I would be saying stuff like this !!

I keep proving to myself that I

HAVE SIGNIFINTLY MORE RESTRAINT THAN
    EVERYONE ELSE !!

~*(puff)*~

~*(puff)*~

ok, I feel better now....

5. W0UZR

If he doesn't want it, can I have it?

I lost mine somehow. Haven't seen it for
    2 or 3 years

6. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, it is posts like the original here that demonstrate that ham radio, which once upon a time was indeed a technical hobby, is no more, and never will be again. It is not the individual's fault, either, and I don't blame him.

Much has been written on that subject and I won't repeat it, but ham radio ceased to be a technical hobby some years ago.

This is simply more proof.

Ed

7. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

"Only a General" isn't an excuse. It's an indictment of just how bad the whole system is.

8. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree completely. Not his fault. It is the fault of the new licensing system we have been developing over the past 12-15 years. That level of expertise is not "only a General" level. It is "I just heard of ham radio. What is it?" level.

Ed

9. KM6MB

KM6MB Ham Member QRZ Page

It comes down to this, most new hams are equipment operators only these days. Sad but true!
    I'm not a fan of multi choice questions in any examination, IMO, it doesn't show that a person has grasped the concepts of what they studied.
    When I was a juvenile apprentice in the UK during the mid 60's my exams asked me "Explain with sketches.." etc, not a, b, or c!

To me it proved whether the examinee had learned the fundamentals of what had been taught.

Although these days it's not necessary to know how a Colpitts or a Hartley oscillator works, or be able to recognise either or even an old Clapp.

10. W0UZR

THERE !!

I've been arguing that and arguing that in the 'Code/NoCode' threads that this would happen and they wouldn't believe me. MABEY they will now.

All they have to do is memorize the answeres

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.