ad: elecraft

What about WTT ads?

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AF7FQ, Jan 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. AF7FQ

AF7FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have searched through the sticky on posting to the classifieds here and I can't find anything on a search either. Are WTT ads allowed here?

2. KN7S

KN7S Senior Swapmeet Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

WTT's are certainly welcomed here. The only icon that we have at the current moment is the light blue Sale/Trade.
    If you do post a WTT ad, be sure to include photos of the radio you have for trade in your ad. Be sure to include your call sign in the photos if your trade item could be worth more than $250.00.

3. AF7FQ

Could a used Yaesu VX-6R handheld that retails for $270, shipped, be in any way considered to be worth more than $250? I've seen them range between $150 and $200 here, on QTH, and Ebay so I should be good right?

4. AF7FQ

Nevermind. I just answered my own question. They are $265 on Amazon but $239 at DX Engineering so NO WAY could a used one be valued over $250.

5. KN7S

KN7S Senior Swapmeet Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Christopher,
    We way too often have folks asking well over current retail prices for their used gear. It is always good practice to check out current new prices for any gear that you are looking for.

6. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

Just for conversation, note that we chose the $250 limit as a value for which a scammer would likely be uninterested.

In other words, scammers usually pfish for bigger deals :)

ND6M likes this.
  7. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

which doesn't mean that there aren't little pfishers out there too

8. AA7BQ

When I get ripped off on a small or inexpensive item, I call it a stupid tax. If I weren't so stupid, I would not have to pay it. :)

W3ATV, KN7S and WB7OXP like this.
  9. AF7FQ

I completely understand why the rule exists. In my laziness though, I didn't want to go and make a sign with my call sign on it for a radio that I don't think reaches the threshold for value to require it. Then I realized that if it retails for even $15 more than that threshold, there were certainly people somewhere in the world who might be trying to convince buyers that it's worth $250. Being new to using the classifieds here, I just didn't want to get myself into trouble.

10. AA7BQ

re: "Making a sign"
    I guy asked me yesterday if it was okay to use a QSL card instead of a hand written call sign on a piece of paper. I sighed and said "sure, go ahead" but privately, I was resigned. I get the sense that people don't understand why the call sign must be in the picture in the first place, nor to they understand that a hand written call on a piece of paper is actually MORE valuable than a QSL card as an indicator.

Just what, exactly, is so difficult about picking up any scrap of paper and writing your call sign on it?

KS4W, N3AB and WB7OXP like this.