ad: elecraft

What about Pactor Interference ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AG3Y, Jan 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

It never seems to fail.  You are enjoying a wonderful digital QSO with a fellow enthusiast, and all of a sudden the frequency is overwhelmed with a loud, obnoxious "BRAAAAP" of a Pactor/Amtor unattended message relaying station.  

Since there is no operator checking if "the frequency is in use" before keying up, there is nothing you can do but close out the QSO, gnash your teeth, and QSY to another part of the band, hoping that either your contact can find you there, or you can find someone else as interesting to talk to.  ( it usually doesn't happen ) [​IMG]

Or is that all you can do?  The following web site suggests some alternatives that you might want to consider.  

http://www.digipan.net/

Is there any way for Pactor/Amtor message handlers and keyboard to keyboard operators to co-exist on the bands ?

I wonder what experiences you have had with this situation, and what you have done about it.  

73 from Jim AG3Y

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't do PSK that high in the band, but I thought AMTOR/PACTOR automated bulletin boards were restricted, at least by gentlemen's agreement, to a very small segment at the high end of the digital band.

3. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Well, Bill, if that were the case, I would have no problem with it, but they seem to be popping up all over the place, now. Sometimes below the PSK31 frequencies, sometimes in the middle of the RTTY frequencies, other times in the MT63 frequencies.

Actually, there is a lot of jumping around from band segment to band segment, except for the PSK31 guys, by those of us who like to use the other modes, but the fact that the Pactor/AMTOR stations just pop up at completely unanticipated times ( like in the middle of a keyboard/keyboard qso ) is what rankles so many of us digital operators.

Well, thanks for your input, anyway !

73 from Jim AG3Y

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.