What About Blank

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KC2MDP, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC2MDP

KC2MDP Ham Member QRZ Page

When I go to shut down internet explorer I get an error message that iexplorer has to close. It does and then I get that pain in the --- About Blank page,which takes several clicks of the mouse to get rid of. My question is, how do I fix this problem. My parents are used to iexplorer and want to keep what they are used to,so it's repair iexplorer or live with "About Blank". The computer's OS is Win XP.

Thanks for all sugesstions

2. AB1FV

AB1FV Ham Member QRZ Page

The "About Blank" page is spyware that has infected your machine.
    Your best bet is to buy a product called "SpySweeper" to get rid of the "About Blank" spyware trash.

There are hundreds of websites out there that can tell you how to get rid of it, but mostly what they do is scan your computer for the spyware that brought on the "About Blank" page in the first place, then tell you you DO have spyware, then charge you a fee for software to get rid of it. Don't fall for any of those things. Just buy SpySweeper, update it when you get it, then run a full scan. It may take a while to scan, but it will be well worth it.

Good Luck!
    AB1FV
    (MCP, MCSE)

3. KC2MDP

KC2MDP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the reply..One of those web based "fix it all" sites have stuck it to me in the past. Lucky for Me, I got My money back and found a better product at a cheaper price at the local computer store. Once bitten twice shy. Thanks Again '73 KC2MDP

4. VE3SRE

VE3SRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Why use Internet Explorer?

There are at least half a dozen other web browsers available including Firefox...which has quite a few ham-friendly extensions available for it.

As for folks who "always use explorer", it really doesn't take that much to "untrain" them...having done that many times myself.

Another thing...if the other users of the computer aren't very "tech savvy", remove their administrative privileges and make them "regular" users. That way they can't install software...which will eliminate many of your headaches.

5. K3WRV

K3WRV Guest

Agree with SRE - use FireFox. Your folks can still use Exploder if they want to, although I generally disable it. FF is IMHO more secure than IE, even under Windope$. Just don't make FF your default browser and your folks will be happy.

6. AB1FV

AB1FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Regardless if you use Firefox or IE, you still have a spyware issue that needs to be addressed.

7. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Regardless of whatever you're using, if you're on the internet, you should be running antivirus, and probably a spyware scan weekly at a minimum.

Otherwise you're just asking for issues.

8. VO1GXG

VO1GXG Ham Member QRZ Page

Time to switch to firefox !

9. K3WRV

K3WRV Guest

Switch to Linux would be even better! [​IMG]

But this was a Windoze post. Sri. [​IMG]

10. K3WRV

K3WRV Guest

The Latest version of FireFox for Win$ claims to have addressed the about:Blank problem. 2.06 I think.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.