What a waste to throw out Desk top OLD Computer

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KG5WKO, Aug 4, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KG5WKO

KG5WKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hp Pavillion 500C has been scrubbed of all files and programming. Just going to toss so brought it home. Why instead of going after rasberry pie etc cannot this act as the radioless all star echolink node, What would I need to convert it from salvge into a working all star node? What stops it from doin exactly what the pi does for this?
    Money is tight and to toss out a good working computer makes no sense to me.
    If all is needed is software which lynix is best and to set up mike and key pad not think one on computer to great. Recommendations?

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

N2EY likes this.
  3. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

I gave away a similar computer recently. Was about to trash it but really didn't want to do that and then a local ham asked for a computer. He really wanted a newer one than mine but after a couple weeks accepted my offer.

In the meantime my Raspberry Pi crashed and hasn't been usable. I hope he was able to turn that old PC into something useful.

4. KG5WKO

The coomputer has been in service a while but needs either be sold off or made to serve all star voip. The info needed is how or what is needed to make a server/node or can we? Asfar as it goes for a few hundred bucks these hp perform up to 10.1win but I hsvr=e two in operation. How about some techical advice from a user of one of the old computers for all star?

5. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, you completely lost me on your latest post. o_O

6. KG5WKO

Has anyone actually used one of these older desk type tower computers as an all star node/server and how did you make the lynix install as all I find is for rasberry pi 3/4?
    What additional equipment is needed since is likely radioless all star set up
    I do not want to sell or toss a perfectly useful computer since it is sitting here doing nothing. Otherwise buying rpi this and that when may need just an external headset and set up to get going

7. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

My computer is 123 years old and just got a haircut.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WR2E likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You could do that, But you would need to use Linux and run Acid on it. You would need the acid_centos.iso image to make it work.

9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I bet you call it JUNIOR! ;)

10. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

An old desktop is attractive due to its familiarity and low price (often free or already on hand). It is equally unattractive due to its size, weight, power consumption (if on all the time), heat generated, noise, and eventual failure of its mechanical parts, i.e. fans or hard drives (unless replaced with an SSD). The Pi and other single board computers are just ideal for dedicated tasks.

N0TZU likes this.