What’s up with the bands?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4HWD, Jun 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Had an enjoyable afternoon working 6m with my 160m Dipole on both FT8 and later SSB as the band strengthened and moved West. Nice breaking in my new QTH.

You naysayers should find someplace else to shovel your gloom and doom! Get on the air!! B.

p.s. Stop blaming Millenials. The age warfare is really a drag.

AD5HR likes this.
  2. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

20 was wide open all day.

VK2WP and KC8VWM like this.
  3. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked a brace of US ops this afternoon on 20M CW without to much difficulty. Although the week last was pretty dead for much of the time.

4. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The millennials have different mores than previous generations of hams. It is not related to age but rather the economic circumstances they have lived through. Blame gets us nowhere but it’s worth pointing out the societal changes that are coming. It’s a big deal if you are not aware.

5. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I awoke happy this morning, then I read this. Think I will go back to bed.

KJ4VTH likes this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The topic is "The Ham Bands", not social mores. You can't force people to take up a particular hobby. And again, stop blaming Millenials for *anything*.

p.s. What ever happened to macrame'? Boomers and their fickle hobbies!! ;)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  7. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Millenials like playing computer games, I prefer reality and ham radio is real. Imagine intellectually I can travel the world on a radio signal that arrives in a 1/14 of a second or less anywhere.

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And how are you going to quantify that? The people pushing the idea that ham radio is dying (I'm not talking about you necessarily) just say, "Well, I turned on 20 yesterday and it was dead! HAM RADIO IS ALSO DEAD!" Remember, we are at a deep solar minimum.

Bottom line? There ARE more licensed hams. If ham radio were dead or dying, I would expect the number of licensees to have begun to reflect that, and I'd also expect far fewer new hams. Neither is the case however, so, IMHO, reports of radio's death have once again been greatly exaggerated. :p

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FB to all. Yes, we are at solar minimum. But even so, yesterday I got on the air and had quite a bit of fun with the West Virginia QSO Party on 40 and 20. Annnnd...partiers were not the only signals on the bands despite 0 sunspots and a geomagnetic storm in progress. :)

10. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

75, 40 and 20 meters is full of activity everyday. The ham bands are far from dead so disregard these 'bands are dead' statements folks.

KA0HCP and W4NNF like this.