What’s up with the bands?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4HWD, Jun 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's nothing wrong with the bands, it's all Fake News by the manufacturers to sell amplifiers and yagis... :rolleyes: Welcome back! I myself was QRT for many years and am having as much fun now, probably more, than I did in 1973 as a Johnny Novice. The equipment is better, far less expensive and with resources like QRZ.com, I'm far more aware of what's happening in terms of modes and DX than ever. It's a great time to be a ham, there's always someone on the air or a way to operate.

KA0HCP likes this.
  2. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is the new standard. If a station can be found, all is well. I don’t think so.

3. WA4KCN

I believe we are experiencing the first sunspot cycle where the few numbers of ham radio stations operating is having a greater impact on activity levels than poor propagation is having.

The millennial generation is known as an industry killer. What is happening to ham radio is occurring in many other hobbies such as motorcycling. As riders age out the millennial generation is not taking up the hobby. There are questions if Harley Davidson will survive as a company. So many other examples of this where the slow process of decline is taking place.

It’s not just ham radio, and it’s due to very stark generational changes that are impacting a great many activities previous generations enjoyed. Most hams who can’t see the decline are hampered by their time in the hobby reference. You being out for a decade or more see the decline. For anyone on the air during any of the decades of the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and up to 2000 who can’t see this are in a dilution.

The hobby remains enjoyable, and we are fortunate to have ham radio today. Yes you can for now find a station to work but it’s getting more difficult. The decline of the hobby is no longer a prediction but is today a reality.

4. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

In MI 80, 40 & 20 are very active with lots of strong signals. 20 meters was open as late as 11pm EST.

VK2WP likes this.
  5. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Ham Member QRZ Page

I had QSOs with Germany and Italy last night on 40, and was picking up Australians on 20, round about midnight Texas time. Nice to see the bands picking back up a little.

I was QRT for a handful of years as well, finally got antennas cleaned up and put up again this year. Welcome back to both of us! :)

6. WA4KCN

From my location the South Pacific is open almost every night on 20. Two weeks ago I worked the Cook Island 5000 miles from my location on 10 meters at 9 PM CST. The qso lasted 20 minutes without fade 5/9 both ways. The bands are quite nice just no one is on the air but a very few stations. Despite sunspots propagation is quite good.

I am traveling in my HF mobile the last several days listening to HF from dawn to dusk. It’s not quite but almost like scanning 2 meters all day and hearing nothing. Virtually the only activity during the day yesterday on 40 were a few nets.

There are stations to work but not many.

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And in other news, Mothman and Bigfoot were spotted in your backyard. ;)

8. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The bands are sorta dead at times then other times there are a few stations on.
    If I tune around and only hear one or two stations on a band I go looking on the digital portions and I have been surprised beyond my imagination.
    The past couple of weeks or so on digital modes Japan,Samoa,South Cook Islands,New Caledonia,Australia,New Zealand ,Kazakhstan,Finland,and Tierra del Fuego have managed to jump into my logbook.
    Sometimes phone bands are ok as evidenced by working Aland Island and Caribbean lately.
    Wait till next Saturday/Sunday for Field Day 2019 to burn up your receiver section.

9. WA4KCN

I know that’s my point. Sky wave paths are very good on 14 MHz and below but few ops. Great with spots, good now. E is excellent now on 10 but few ops. The steep decline in HF activity has been happening for the last decade but the acceleration in the decline has been in the last 5 years.

It’s not just ham radio that is in decline. Many hobbies and activities are experiencing the decline. Motor sports will soon be a thing of the past.

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham radio is in decline, but there are more hams now than there ever have been. OOOOOK. ;)

WU8Y likes this.